Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Stop The Fan With My Hands

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can Stop The Fan With My Hands

So long story short my fan clutch has gone bad it's on a 77000 miles 2003 disco 2 so I'm looking to replace it I bought a Hayden 2991 clutch and I'd like to buy an old GM fan like a gmc or chevy blazer fan. But i know you have to trim it and size it up a tad for the fan shroud.

Anyways my question is will this new more powerful fan and fan clutch kill my already weak water pump?

Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

" Anyways my question is will this new more powerful fan and fan clutch kill my already weak water pump? "

Can't say 100% for sure it will(can't help the issue). BUT I can tell you this, you have a DII with a bad water pump....these trucks overheat and big problems are next...

It's a no brainer REPLACE THE WATER PUMP STC4378 (get an Airtex )!!!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

How are you testing the clutch? I would hate to think that you are sticking your hand into a spinning fan as you should be testing it when the engine is warmed up to temp. When the fan clutch is cold, you should have little to no resistance but as the temps rise; the viscous coupling in the clutch should control the resistance.

I can't comment on your clutch or fan choices but if you know you have a weak water pump: should you not be addressing that before that leads to major issues?

Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
How are you testing the clutch? I would hate to think that you are sticking your hand into a spinning fan as you should be testing it when the engine is warmed up to temp. When the fan clutch is cold, you should have little to no resistance but as the temps rise; the viscous coupling in the clutch should control the resistance.

I can't comment on your clutch or fan choices but if you know you have a weak water pump: should you not be addressing that before that leads to major issues?
I did already order one its actually cooling the truck just fine, but leaking so yeah should probably replace it.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

Savannah Buzz, a long-time contributor here, not heard from now for a couple of years, always stressed replacing the fan clutch and the fan together.

"... if you replace the clutch also do the water pump, they have been dance partners for 90,000 miles X 2500 rpms; and pump is about pooped also. A new, stiffer clutch will finish him off for good."

"At 151K, the fan clutch and WP have made millions spins around the dance floor. Old tired pump keeps getting these new dance partners, and he just can't keep up."

"BTW replace the fan clutch at same time or you may be back in the shop in short order, the clutch and water pump are a mated pair, millions of spins around the dance floor, perfectly worn down by each partner's minor flaws. New one of either puts extra stress on the other one."

Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Tick
So long story short my fan clutch has gone bad it's on a 77000 miles 2003 disco 2 so I'm looking to replace it I bought a Hayden 2991 clutch and I'd like to buy an old GM fan like a gmc or chevy blazer fan. But i know you have to trim it and size it up a tad for the fan shroud.

Anyways my question is will this new more powerful fan and fan clutch kill my already weak water pump?
I highly recommend the Dorman 620-112 fan blade as a replacement paired with the 2991 Fan Clutch.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:42 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I highly recommend the Dorman 620-112 fan blade as a replacement paired with the 2991 Fan Clutch.
I used this fan/clutch combo per your advise from another thread. I've had very little run time on it so far, but it cools, and fits good.
Very happy with it, and both only cost me $62
So thank you, and another yes on recommending it!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
Savannah Buzz, a long-time contributor here, not heard from now for a couple of years, always stressed replacing the fan clutch and the fan together.

"... if you replace the clutch also do the water pump, they have been dance partners for 90,000 miles X 2500 rpms; and pump is about pooped also. A new, stiffer clutch will finish him off for good."

"At 151K, the fan clutch and WP have made millions spins around the dance floor. Old tired pump keeps getting these new dance partners, and he just can't keep up."

"BTW replace the fan clutch at same time or you may be back in the shop in short order, the clutch and water pump are a mated pair, millions of spins around the dance floor, perfectly worn down by each partner's minor flaws. New one of either puts extra stress on the other one."
Yes whatever happened to Savannah Buzz and Disco Mike is he still around? I love the straightforward, no BS solid advice they give!

Old 11-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Installed the 2991 clutch and early D2 style fan on mine a couple of years ago.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-....c100677.m4598

Old 11-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by number9
Installed the 2991 clutch and early D2 style fan on mine a couple of years ago.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-....c100677.m4598
How's it been cooling your engine? Notice any difference

Quick Reply: Can Stop The Fan With My Hands