Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the transfer case solenoid be repaired or just tossed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Can the transfer case solenoid be repaired or just tossed?

Like, what's the cause of death? Is it just stuck and need lube or is the component toast and unrepairable?

Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Someone cheap like me, love it! Fixed the 12v vacuum pump on my husband's 7.3 by spraying silicone spray into the vacuum pump while it was on.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Like, what's the cause of death? Is it just stuck and need lube or is the component toast and unrepairable?

Most of us just remove them, but if you feel you need it, replace it. I haven't read of anyone fixing a broke one. I don't know why they fail, other than the fact they are an electrical device in a Rover that's getting old.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

It’s a solenoid & they either burn up, or get stuck. I personally have removed the unit from my 02 Kalahari, (was stuck in 4Hi when I bought it), so I made a blank plate for it, and sealed it up with some black RTV. Then I installed an 04 CDL Linkage and just simply plugged it in (03-04 interlock is not on the TC anymore. It’s mounted on the 4Hi/N/4Lo linkage instead. So if you can get a hold of an 03-04 unit (03 if you don’t have a CDL & 04 if you do) it’s a PNP upgrade vs the older setup & much easier to work on in the future.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Best4x4
It’s a solenoid & they either burn up, or get stuck. I personally have removed the unit from my 02 Kalahari, (was stuck in 4Hi when I bought it), so I made a blank plate for it, and sealed it up with some black RTV. Then I installed an 04 CDL Linkage and just simply plugged it in (03-04 interlock is not on the TC anymore. It’s mounted on the 4Hi/N/4Lo linkage instead. So if you can get a hold of an 03-04 unit (03 if you don’t have a CDL & 04 if you do) it’s a PNP upgrade vs the older setup & much easier to work on in the future.
Oh interesting... Hmmm. When you say you made a plate, you mean you actually fabricated it yourself? What material?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

I did the same, removed the Tcase solenoid and covered it with a plate when I added my 04 CDL handle with solenoid on the handle.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I either removed the solenoid out of the housing or I just hack sawed the rod off the solenoid and bolted the housing back on? I don't remember the particulars. I did the job from the top because I was also installing my 04' linkage, tight quarters but doable. The solenoids job is to prevent the vehicle from accidently being placed in neutral by a child or mommy and rolling down a hill, some call it a soccer mom safety device.

The following users liked this post:
Lisa Bunch (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Oh interesting... Hmmm. When you say you made a plate, you mean you actually fabricated it yourself? What material?
I have access to small metal plates/shims from work. I took a 1/8 thick shim, and clamped it to the original interlock solenoid cover. Drilled the 4 holes, and then I used a grinder to make it exactly the same size. Took me maybe 20min to make. I was able to remove the old unit & install the plate with the TC installed and from underneath. I just removed the Ebrake drum assembly for the most clearance.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:38 PM
Pro Wrench

I have access to small metal plates/shims from work. I took a 1/8 thick shim, and clamped it to the original interlock solenoid cover. Drilled the 4 holes, and then I used a grinder to make it exactly the same size. Took me maybe 20min to make. I was able to remove the old unit & install the plate with the TC installed and from underneath. I just removed the Ebrake drum assembly for the most clearance.
After dropping the driveshaft, is it easy enough to take down the ebrake drum? Wishing I did that last week when changing the TC fluid.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Once the driveshaft is out of the way you just use a manual impact driver to remove the #3 phillips head bolt that keeps the drum in place, then the main drum cover will slide off. The backplate is held onto the TC with 4 15mm bolts. After that you can move the assembly out of the way or go one step further and remove the clip on the ebrake handle & sit the assembly out of the way totally. I’ve done it either way.

Quick Reply: Can the transfer case solenoid be repaired or just tossed?