Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot fill my fuel tank to full

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot fill my fuel tank to full

Ok, so this has now happened 3 times at 3 different gas stations...all with level tarmack. I try to fill my fuel tank on my 2000 Disco II, it will only fill up 3/4. Fuel from the pump overflows as if the tank is full when it is not. Took it apart below the gas cap, nothing clogged. No obstructions seem to be in the fuel pipe. I think this car is possessed. I have had virtually every problem that these cars are known to have, i.e. head gaskets replaced, 3 Amigo's, waterfall sound under the glovebox, no heat, front driveshaft u-joint broken, front seat adjustment fuses blowing, etc.

I love this truck more than life itself..anybody else encounter this strange phenomenon?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your gas tank is full the fuel gauge in wrong.
Is the fuel that you are buying have ethonal in it? I will say on the pump if it does and to what %.
Ethonal has a differant specific gravity than gas and can mess with the float in the gas tank.
If no ethonal then you can either let sleeping dogs lie (what i would do) or replace your fuel pump.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Mudding

I have found a filling stations where there a lot of cars filling at the sametime I have that problem its as if the vacuum that pulls the fumes can not keep up with the filling.
When I fill at the same station same pump when no cars or just one or two everything works fine.
That is all I have found,, see if you find the samething.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Spike555, i dont think its the fuel gauge. Reason being, the car was on empty from a long trip (orange light was on) when I fiilled it up. The car had only taken 15 gallons at the pump when the fuel started overflowing...bill came to 30 bucks. I guess the tank could have been 1/4-1/2 and the broken fuel gauge was erroneously reading empy when it was not. I heard there could be some sort of a valve somewhere (fuel tank) that may be clogged causing the fuel to build up in the pipe????

Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The vent tube can become clogged, but that is not your problem because if it was clogged then you would have problems from the very first drop of gas to the very last drop.
Your fuel gauge is wrong, believe me or dont, but thats your problem.
The sending unit inside the gas tank which is part of the fuel pump is out of wack for whatever reason.
The low fuel light works off of the sending unit, if that is wrong then the low fuel light will come on when it is not supposed to.
Take a gas can full of gas with you, then when the low fuel light is on keep driving and see how much longer it take you to run out.
You still have a 1/4 tank left when the light comes on because full is 3/4 so a 1/4 will be empty.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Set your trip-meter when you've pumped in all the fuel it will hold, then look to see how many miles you've driven when the light comes on. A full tank ought to take you about 300 miles between refueling, plus or minus 15 miles depending on how you drive it. That's the best way to know for sure whether or not your gauge is accurate. I'd venture to say that it is not. But, look on the bright side, at least it's telling you that you need fuel when you actually have some rather than that you have fuel when you actually need some!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Mudding

Funny! I've had all those same problems. 6 months ago I had the drive shafts replaced and I just got the head done last week!

As far as the fuel thing goes, the only thing close to that is the need to "reboot" the car in order for the fuel gauge to read anything. (actually if I drive around for 20 minutes or so it will eventually show full)

Brian

Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Drifting

I have the same problem with my 2001 Discovery. Whenever I fill up the tank, it shows only 3/4 on the gauge. At one point I thought the tank was replaced and smaller tank was installed, but from what I have seen under the vehicle, everything looks fine and the original tank is installed. Are there any possibilities to sync back the fuel gauge?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Mudding

Kind of the same thing here. the most i have ever been able to get in my tank is 65 liters when the manual says its a 95 liter tank. I do know there is most likely about 10 liters left in the tank when the light comes on. nut that still leaves about 20 liters unaccounted for?
gauge will always show full and I get about 350kms or 220 miles on a tank.

Last edited by Mojigglins; 05-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

has either of you checked to see if your vent pipe is blocked, kind of a semi common problem. I had the same problem and found a big *** spider and web living in the vent tube.

Quick Reply: Cannot fill my fuel tank to full