Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor conversion for Disco 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:37 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor conversion for Disco 1?

Does anyone know of any carb conversions to replace fuel injection on 1996 and up discoveries.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Carburetor conversion for Disco 1?

no, but why would you want to?

Old 07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
5th Gear

You can fit the same intake manifold used on old Buick 215 engines adn use an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb with good results. This engine is used a LOT in V8 conversions for MGBs. You could also try to find a European manifold that used twin SU carbs from a Rover SD1. But why? Fuel mileage and performance will be better with the FI system intact.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

WHY????? would you want to convert back to a carb, less power, worse gas mileage, floods on rough roads, need I say more?
Mike

Old 07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
5th Gear

Yes, even the MGB guys are clammoring for the factory FI setups. They work great and give you better fuel mixtures than even the highest price carbs! One off road trip could be disastrous with a carb. Stuck on an incline and flooding or out of gas. Bummer! Then you have annual maintenance of tuning the carb settings, rejetting it to get it to run properly, blah, blah, blah...

But Yes, its possible and has been done about a million times. Manifolds are still made by Edelbrock, and you can sell the FI setup easily on Ebay!!!

Old 08-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by distributorguy
Yes, even the MGB guys are clammoring for the factory FI setups. They work great and give you better fuel mixtures than even the highest price carbs! One off road trip could be disastrous with a carb. Stuck on an incline and flooding or out of gas. Bummer! Then you have annual maintenance of tuning the carb settings, rejetting it to get it to run properly, blah, blah, blah...

But Yes, its possible and has been done about a million times. Manifolds are still made by Edelbrock, and you can sell the FI setup easily on Ebay!!!
hello just found this post I'd like more info on this I have 98 d1 been chasing gremlins lately. Great truck picked up cheap 3 years ago been daily driver and all I need to done is shocks and put tie rods on I have. I have high idle, spit and sputter off and on, back fire once while, fuel gauge comes and goes. Its wiring or computer maybe I even tried a second computer. I put $300 into last month in sensor and chasing gremlins. Solid truck as a whole solid engine even with 173k miles on it know great compression. I want to carb it and like to know if I can use cranks sensor with a ignition pack like a msd type to use the new coil pack I installed. Its a daily driver and will use on acrage when we move but just looking to use this platform and get rid of the gremlins. Plz let me know thanks

Old 08-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

You may be waiting awhile the last time he logged in was the day he posted in this thread 10 years ago in 2007.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the FI intake manifold with this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2198

then install this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1404

Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

You would also have to restrict fuel pressure. Most of those carbs like to see around 8 psi whereas a healthy efi system is pushing more like 38 psi.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by knbaudio
hello just found this post I'd like more info on this I have 98 d1 been chasing gremlins lately. Great truck picked up cheap 3 years ago been daily driver and all I need to done is shocks and put tie rods on I have. I have high idle, spit and sputter off and on, back fire once while, fuel gauge comes and goes. Its wiring or computer maybe I even tried a second computer. I put $300 into last month in sensor and chasing gremlins. Solid truck as a whole solid engine even with 173k miles on it know great compression. I want to carb it and like to know if I can use cranks sensor with a ignition pack like a msd type to use the new coil pack I installed. Its a daily driver and will use on acrage when we move but just looking to use this platform and get rid of the gremlins. Plz let me know thanks
What codes are you throwing?

Also you can find used wiring harnesses on eBay for not a lot of money, not to mention rebuilt fuel injectors. I'm thinking it's easier to fix what you got instead of rebuilding with dated technology.

Quick Reply: Carburetor conversion for Disco 1?