Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Cat Converter Stolen on Disco II - Need Replacement (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/cat-converter-stolen-disco-ii-need-replacement-55716/)

Rover_Hokie 01-09-2013 12:50 AM

File claim with insurance for OE replacement installed. Take the cash and get a shop to do aftermarket, and buy your rover something nice and hand on to a few bucks you may need later, it is a rover!

ZMonet 01-09-2013 03:15 AM

Thanks Rover Hokie. Should I pay the shop something for their time? I can't prove they are doing anything wrong and I'm unsure what protocol would be here. They claim they tried to install an aftermarket part and it wouldn't work and then they spent time working with the auditor.

coors 01-09-2013 06:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Its sad to know that there are people out there who would do this.

I have an aftermarket Y-Pipe. I bought it off EBay (Bosal unit) it was a direct bolt in. No hassle install. Even came with the gaskets. One thing I will disclose, the cats on the Bosal unit are smaller than the ones that were equipped from the factory. So, I'll probably be replacing them in a few years. And the truck is slightly louder at idle than before, due to the less restrive cats. Other than that I'm happy w/ the product. Good Luck! Let us kniw how this turns out.

SuperSport 01-10-2013 09:54 AM

Unfortunately, I live in California where you cannot use an aftermarket CAT. My wife's VW New Beetle needs one currently, and Original Equipment is around $1000 for the little sucker. I see why some unscrupulous people cut them out... It really frustrates me that I cannot buy an OEM version for 1/5 the cost that probably performs as well, if not better, from Magnaflow or another known brand. But, I guess since California is on the brink of Bankruptcy, they need to get it from somewhere..

jafir 01-10-2013 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSport (Post 369065)
Unfortunately, I live in California where you cannot use an aftermarket CAT.

Actually you can, it just has to be an approved for CA aftermarket cat. Magnaflow has quite a few, and the part number they show for the old new beetle is about $250 at amazon.

The Official Site of MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Systems For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

SuperSport 01-10-2013 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 369066)
Actually you can, it just has to be an approved for CA aftermarket cat. Magnaflow has quite a few, and the part number they show for the old new beetle is about $250 at amazon.

The Official Site of MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Systems For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

I already checked, and unfortunately, the 2005 New Beetle Convertible with a 2.0 BEV engine is not on their list, so I'm stuck with Original Equip. The Exhaust shops tell me Cali puts out a list every few months, and until they add my vehicle to the list, I'm hosed.

jafir 01-10-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSport (Post 369077)
I already checked, and unfortunately, the 2005 New Beetle Convertible with a 2.0 BEV engine is not on their list, so I'm stuck with Original Equip. The Exhaust shops tell me Cali puts out a list every few months, and until they add my vehicle to the list, I'm hosed.

Any chance your purchase date put you at less than 7 years? If so, the dealer may still have to cover it.

SuperSport 01-10-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 369117)
Any chance your purchase date put you at less than 7 years? If so, the dealer may still have to cover it.

On this car, it's 8 years and 80k miles, but unfortunately, she's now got 111k.

jfall 01-10-2013 03:38 PM

I am in California.
They will not check for the CAT brand at all.
Just go to an independent smog shop.

As long as it passes the up the tail pipe sniff.

My 1997 D1 had the cats go bad.
I got some from Atlantic British for $800 - after market and put them on.
Then got smogged in Cali near Los Gatos in Santa Clara County and no problems.

here is the write up

1997 Land Rover replace catalytic converter and head gaskets

agthird 01-10-2013 03:44 PM

get the davico, 365 shipped to my front door exact fit!!!!!!....the oem cats are worth a lot of money at a recycle place the after market ones about ten bucks.....