Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB ant. and radio installed, pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB ant. and radio installed, pics

Just finished installing my Cobra 29 CB radio with a 4' Firestick no ground plane antenna with spring and mount drilled into the spare tire carrier, hooked direct to the engine bay fuse panel following the advice of the now confirmed definatly not a Land Rover built information bot, DiscoMike!!

also showing my new recovery ring point on the reciever hitch, and a temporary setup in the cab of my Ultraguage mounted to the hvac duct, a widescreen rear view camera (always on), a 4 switch selectable 12v cig. power adapter (for cellphone charger, camera, fm modulator/mp3 player and power inverter) and the CB itself. ill be mounting the widescreen display perminatly where it sits now, the cb will be squished further down, and the switch i will mount down and forward of where it is now with the red tape it has on now, and in the near future a ham radio (if i pass my tests this saturday!) mounted to the rear of the center console, with a vhf/uhf ant. probably going to be mounted on the rear ladder. comments, questions, tips, welcome!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Everybody says run the antenna cable through the hole where the wash fluid tubing comes out of the door. So how do you get the large PL-259 connector on the end of the cable through that little hole?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work!

What kind of antenna mount did you use, and where did you get it? I'm having a HELLUVA time getting mine grounded, and therefore
cannot transmit out without a ton of squelch. I want to ditch the mount for something different.

P.S. - I'm super jealous your T-Case shifter has the words "DIFF" and "LOCK" on it

Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Everybody says run the antenna cable through the hole where the wash fluid tubing comes out of the door. So how do you get the large PL-259 connector on the end of the cable through that little hole?
You cut the pl-259 off, then put a new one on at the radio end. That's what I did.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

heres the kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Firestik-LG4M2...8282672&sr=8-1

the wire is bare on the end that goes to the antenna and just crimps on with a spade type connector to a metal plate that helps with the ground, the system is set up to be ground plane free using the cable itself as the horizontal portion, so it slid right through the rear washer hole, although the bung isnt tight anymore cause i also have a rear camera mounted with the feadline going through there too. i havent check the standing wave ratio's yet so im not sure how good it is, but ill update when done tuning.

yep! love my locking xfer case, havent used it ONCE haha ****ing 60 degree jersey winter!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Did you make those cup holders or buy them somewhere?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i assumed they were stock? bought the car with them like that...what should they look like?

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i like those better haha, wanna trade?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Overlanding

Divkat-Those cupholders were stock in the earlier DIIs. Too small for most cups nowadays.

Quick Reply: CB ant. and radio installed, pics