Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Changer Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you very much guys!

Your instructions worked. It is not necessary to remove the passenger seat to remove the CD Changer.

If anything, you will need to remove the plastic around the seat to if you actually wanted to remove the seat!

There are 4 nuts which are 10mm and the studs stay on the floor. Tools you will need are a box wrench and ratchet with an 8" extension to remove the unit.

A subwoofer is taking the place of the CD changer and has been ordered. It is a BOSS Bass 600 which fits well under the seat. Will keep you posted.

Al
'03 D2 SE7

Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Can be removed without removing the seat.

Step one, make sure seat is all the way back with electronic button
Step two, now take off plastic around base of seat
Step three, open back door passenger and reach under seat unplug electric connection
Step four, there will be four nuts that hold cd player & mount remove those
Almost there, tip the studs will stay in floor when done
Wiggle the unit out from under there your done!

Now sell cd player on ebay or forum!

So I was pretty accurate?

Good job! Please post pictures of installation of speaker and provide info on head unit and amp.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does yours work? If so would you be selling it? I don't have one. OR is there a connection that would allow me to use the cd input as a AUX cable? Hmm

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any update on that underseat sub?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by spazmoid
Any update on that underseat sub?
Absolutely. I completed the job a month or two ago. I used an inexpensive powered subwoofer called a BOSS Bass 600. Bought it from Amazon for $85. The dimensions are approx 14 x 11 x 3 and fits exactly under the passenger seat.

I'm not a die-hard audiophile, but the sound from this powered sub is amazing. I was looking for enough thump to round off my bass and it does the job.

So my set up is this: Kenwood Excelon head unit with subwoofer outputs -the sub outputs feed into the Boss Bass 600 powered subwoofer under the passenger seat. With the existing Discovery speaker system + the powered subwoofer, my ride now rocks!

Al
'03 D2 SE7

Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine out last week and gave it to a forum member and as the others have said no need to take seat out. I pushed the seat back and removed the front screw holding the bracket facing the door then forward to get the rear screw. On the other one I used a small 1/4 ratchet and 10 mm socket to remove the bracket from the floor on the one facing the driver seat. Really not bad when I figured it out. lr2001 wish I would have mounted my amp in that spot, great idea!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Mudding
Default Photo of BOSS Bass 600

Here's the pic of the powered subwoofer I installed under the passenger seat. 600W peak for less than $100. Most of the customer reviews are positive

CD Changer Removal-img_0111.jpg

Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aguison
Absolutely. I completed the job a month or two ago. I used an inexpensive powered subwoofer called a BOSS Bass 600. Bought it from Amazon for $85. The dimensions are approx 14 x 11 x 3 and fits exactly under the passenger seat.

I'm not a die-hard audiophile, but the sound from this powered sub is amazing. I was looking for enough thump to round off my bass and it does the job.

So my set up is this: Kenwood Excelon head unit with subwoofer outputs -the sub outputs feed into the Boss Bass 600 powered subwoofer under the passenger seat. With the existing Discovery speaker system + the powered subwoofer, my ride now rocks!

Al
'03 D2 SE7
Can you talk a little about wiring this sub up? Like power, ground, and routing?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Wiring the powered subwoofer is straightforward.

Buy an amplifier wiring kit. From Walmart you can get them for $25, the higher quality ones start from $39 and up from Crutchfield or Metraonline, to name a few. The kit will have everything you need for this job.

The amplifier wiring kit will have either 8 or 10 gauge wires - a red wire for 12V power and black wire for ground. The red wire should have a fuse holder built in and will have a 30 or 40A fuse. There will also have a blue or grey wire used for the remote power supply.

The installation only involves 3 wires and one pair of RCA cables. The 3 wires will be 12V, remote and ground.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable
2. Connect red wire with fuse to battery + terminal
3. Run the wire through the engine firewall - there should be a 1" access hole on the passenger side of the firewall. Hard to find but it's there...
4. Continue running the wire up to the +12V connector on the powered sub
5. Find the blue wire from your radio and from your kit use the remote wire and tap into the blue wire. The remote wire can be 14 or 16 gauge wire. Run the blue wire to the remote connector on the powered sub
6. If you cannot find the radio blue wire, find any wire that only turns on when the key is turned to ACC position
7. Connect a black ground wire from the powered sub to a bare metal ground in the car. Usually unscrewing a bolt and inserting the wire from the black ground cable between the bolt and a metal washer should work.
8. Hook up the subwoofer RCA output wires from your radio/head unit to the low level input on the powered sub
9. Reconnect battery ground cable and fire up the system

Last edited by aguison; 01-05-2013 at 11:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (04-22-2017)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Awesome. Especially useful is the hole in the firewall comment. I had assumed CD changer power tapping would not suffice for the subwoofer amplifier. Did you run wiring along the center console side of things, I assume?

Quick Reply: CD Changer Removal