Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL - Now I "get" it....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CDL - Now I "get" it....

Today I made it a little closer to getting across the creek I've been working on for the last couple of months. Made it down to the edge before I realized I didn't have enough room to turn around, even if I backed into the creek. So, more clearing to do. As you can see from the pics, I don't have a lot of room to maneuver in, and I finally ran into the "flaw" with the traction control - in order for it to work, you have to give it gas. Which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem unless you were trying to avoid trees that are only four inches from your truck. So, recommendations? Install a CDL? Are there any particular brands you guys have had good luck with? How do you operate it - using the existing transfer case shifter? If this is a royal pain the the rear, should I just trade for a 2004?

Attached Thumbnails CDL - Now I "get" it....-technical-woods.jpg   CDL - Now I "get" it....-technical-woods-2.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You can buy a CDL differential assembly for $350ish and have it installed to your t/case along with one of the 3 different style linkage assemblies.
What year is your truck?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Mudding

Sorry - should have posted that - 2002 D2 SD.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

If you do a search on this forum or the LRO, you will find a well written thread about someone doing this process.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Mudding

Right - got the instructions from Josh Salas but it doesn't reference anything about the linkage or how to engage/disengage. I want to be spoon-fed Mike, like a little baby!

Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

When installed, the linkage for the CDL moves to the left to lock and right to unlock. Your current t-case shifter only moves forward and back to go between hi-neutral-lo. With the CDL linkage installed you'll have 5 positions to choose from with the t-case shifter: hi, hi lock, neutral, lo, lo lock.

They discontinued the CDL linkage when the D2 came out in 99 and mid 01 model year they discontinued putting the CDL in the t-case completely. To add CDL to your truck you'll need to open up the transfer case and physically add it then install the shifter linkage. You can either get a shifter from a D1 for about $150 of get a shifter from an 04 for $350. If you don't feel comfortable playing inside the t-case and don't have a mechanic you trust you can shop around for a used case from a earlier (99-2000) D2.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

www.roverlandparts.com has both t-cases and the shifters and the linkagesessssesss.
Any t-case for a DII will work, so look on Craigs List for a DII being parted out.
Also look at www.autosportsunlimited.com for a used t-case, like AK said the '99-01 and the '04 will have the CDL already, then all you will need is the linkage.
Then you can just drop your t-case out and put in the "new" one and then sell yours on Craigs List.

Thats not tight, I have been in trees so tight I had to fold in the mirrors and chop branches off the tree's with my machet'.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Spike555; 06-06-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i just found an 04 t-case on D-web. will.tillery is selling it for $450. I have gotten parts from this guy before with no issues. check it out if you want. he has a web site i think: rover guy parts

Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Decent price, you will still then need the linkage either from a D1, an 04 or a electric solenoid shifter.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Mudding

I'm there with you Spike - I had to pull in my mirror today. What you didn't see in those pics was what it looked like before I cleaned it up this morning. I carry an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw, a Stihl hedge trimmer, limb cutter (loppers), a Kaiser blade, machete, steel rake, pick-axe, two shovels, mix gas, bar oil and 15 gallons of Premium with me. I also take a camera to document my stupidity so my friends will have a good laugh when they find the body. I've already sent them the GPS coordinates of the properties I manage so it will be like a geo-tracking adventure for them. If I miss lunch on Friday, the game is on!

Quick Reply: CDL - Now I "get" it....