Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL will not shift to the left in either high or low range - please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool CDL will not shift to the left in either high or low range - please help

Ive been trying to diagnose why my CDl will not engage. The high/low range works, sometimes there is some resistance but it shifts and it works. Light comes on in the dash so no issues there. But whenever I try shifting to the left in either low or high range to access the diff lock the shifter just will not move. Feels like its not ment to be shifted to the left. Ive lubed the linkage both from underneath the truck and from within the cabin by taking the gator and foam off to apply a generous amount of WD-40. Still nothing. I think I had the same issue when I first got the truck but a a quick lub underneath the truck fixed the problem, that was over a year ago now. Ive been playing the the shifter and doing several lub sessions to the linkage and no matter what I cannot get the shifter to shift to the left.

I read the manual and it says to shift the shifter to the left in either high or low range. I shift the transmission into neutral, followed by the brake then try the cdl.

Ive already tried the "search" feature using "CDL" as the keyword for the search in the D2 section and it says there are no results. Also tried typing CDL twice with a space in case the keyword was to short for a search and still no results. Surprisingly I know there are many threads regarding CDL so dont know whats up. Also did a extensive google search but most results were for troubleshooting on the install of CDL in a D2 rather than a stuck CDL. Looked on youtube and found a couple videos for the D1 so no thing there that could answer my question either. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TRIARII; 07-08-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

We have had luck by first actuating it manually. Climb under the truck with a 10mm wrench, fit it on the nipple and try and turn it 2 clicks towards the passenger side, then 2 clicks back to the drivers side. Very often the linkage is stuck and you just need to un-stuck it manually before you can use your shifter to actuate it normally.

Here is a video we made to show what you're looking for:

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (12-19-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

With the D1 CDL, it will get very stuck if never actuated. I've heard of people using their foot and working it loose (gently kicking it loose). Mine was so stuck I had to put it in a vice and work it loose.

It was a pretty big pain in the ***.

I now engage my CDL every couple of weeks to keep it free.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you have an 04 correct, so it is a stock shifter, you did not add it?

I would disconnect the lever at the transfer case and see if it can be shifted, if it can you most likley have a frozen cable

Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah, if it's a D1 linkage, you have to actuate it every now and again or it will get stuck.

I actuate the CDL and Lo range at least once a month to avoid this happening to me. I do it more often in the winter months.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:59 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
you have an 04 correct, so it is a stock shifter, you did not add it?

I would disconnect the lever at the transfer case and see if it can be shifted, if it can you most likley have a frozen cable
Yeah i own a 04 D2 with factory CDL. Is there a writeup for removing the lever? When i pulled off the gator and the foam insulation i noticed that the plate surrounding the shifter is riveted to the body. I dont really want to tear up the body and i dont know anything about riveting. On my former D1 once your shifter got stuck you could not even use the high low range because the entire linkage would seize. Remember that i can still shift into both high and low range. I will tey the first suggestion as mentioned by lucky 8 in first repky then get back to everyone.

The following users liked this post:
andy@lochvoil.co.uk (12-18-2022)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You can drill out the rivets and replace them with SS self tapping screws

Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
You can drill out the rivets and replace them with SS self tapping screws
Or go to HF/HD/Lowes with $5-15 and get a rivet gun and put them all back

Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Too fancy

Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Every time I go to Canadian Tire expecting to spend 5-15$, I end up spending ten times that amount...

To the OP, you don't have to remove the lever to disconnect the cable. It's pretty easy to do from under the truck. Just get under the truck with a pair of pliers and a flashlight, unfasten the linkage to the CDL lock, then turn it using a wrench just like in the video above.

Quick Reply: CDL will not shift to the left in either high or low range - please help