Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL won't engage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question CDL won't engage?

So I went wheeling last weekend, used my CDL, light came on, everything worked great. However, now, it will not engage. I can move my 04' shifter just fine and the linkage is moving the CDL nipple. No light on the dash and when I drive it doesn't feel like it's engaged.

Any ideas?

Recent work done: I replaced the alternator a couple days ago. Everything went fine and there were no hiccups.

I also replaced my instrument cluster due to my three amigo lights missing from my original cluster. The new cluster is in and it has been working great since. I put it in about a month ago. The CDL has worked since I put in and the light came on, so I don't think this is related, but you never know.

Lastly, I checked all my fuses. One 30 was blown, so I replaced it, but no luck. Still not working.

I'm not sure why it is not engaging. My first thought was maybe the neutral detection sensor was not working properly, but my hi-low shifting works as it should, so I don't think that is the problem.I am pretty stumped...

Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL won't engage?

Only thing I can think of off the top of my is have you checked under your rover to see if the jam nuts are tight and that it has not migrated out of proper rig?

Good Luck

Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Has to be cable related to the CDL nipple, I would think.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Go in a parking lot and turn your wheel to the lock and drive paying attention to how your tires sound. Now engage your CDL and do the same thing.... if your tires sound like they are ripping at the pavement your CDL is engaging without indication. If it sounds the same it may not be engaging.

You could also put the vehicle up on jackstands and engage/disengage and see if a wheel on the front and a wheel on the rear axles spins. If only the rear spins it isn't engaged.

I'd figure out if it's physically engaging before chasing every component in the system.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Winching

Ok. So I got under there today and felt my actuator cable and nipple. The actuator is moving the nipple like it should when it is engaged/disengaged. What am I missing? Is the CDL a mechanical mechanism? (ie the turn of the nipple locks it) Or is it an electrical one? (ie the nipple turning is fed to a sensor that then locks the CDL) Is there any possibility it could be a strange electrical problem? I am just looking for solutions as I'm really stumped... and I am doing everything I can to avoid ripping my center console apart It's that hard I know, but I would just rather not if I can solve this without doing that.

On a side note, I did get a Hawkeye and was syncing my instrument cluster. I didn't change anything, but I did see there is a programming section that you can change the shift interlock setting. Could I have accidentally done something there that would not allow the CDL to lock?

@BrandonS: Thanks, I do what my disco feels like on the road when the CDL is engaged and I know that is definitely NOT engaged.

Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Are you sure that the lite isn't burned out or the switch is stuck? Have you tried slowly, on pavement, to turn a partial tight circle, is the front end not binding up?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Winching

Hey mike I did a bulb check with the hawkeye. The lights comes on. I'm going to get my phone up there with a flashlight and record the actuation to make sure the nipple is in fact turning. I was doing it by feel yesterday and I thought I could feel it turn, but the video will hopefully show me more.

Is there a sensor that could be bad not allowing the t case to lock?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Check the wire leads that run to the CDL switch that's responsible for illuminating the dash light, it's located on the t-case. I had a terminal snap off on my switch. They are very brittle.

Here's the switch.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Administrator

There is no sensor that is causing this.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Winching

UPDATE:
So I tore the center console apart this morning as I couldn't really get a good picture of whether or not the nipple was turning or not. I got it all apart and manually engaged the CDL switch. At this point, I honestly cannot tell if it's engaged or not. It feels like it is, but I'm having a hard time being certain. Before I got the lift and new tires, I could EASILY tell when the CDL was engaged when driving on the road. But now for some reason it doesn't feel like it did. I never drove with the new lift and tires and CDL engaged on the road, so I can't really compare. Would a lift and new tires change the way it feels when the CDL is engaged?

Either way, I manually turned the spicket, and still get nothing. If I engage the CDL, put the truck in park, turn it off, and then turn it back on, my three amigos SHOULD light up right? Cause I tried that, no amigos. Makes me really wonder whether or not it is engaging.

@coors: Thanks for that tip. I looked and my switch appeared to be fine. Both connections were securely connected. I took the switch out anyway though just to check everything else. I think this MIGHT be my problem. I ordered a new one from AB and will put it in. I started the truck, and when I touched the two ends of the connectors together the CDL light comes on as it should. The only thing I could think of was maybe the spring inside the switch wore out or something. The round part of the switch that sticks out at the bottom, on mine, did not stick out nearly as far as the one in the picture. So maybe this is the issue? I'm really crossing my fingers as I hope this is it. I think there's a good chance though.

I will update once I get the new switch in.

Thanks everyone for your input. This is a frustrating issue! Hopefully I can get it figured out.

Quick Reply: CDL won't engage?