Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

center diff NOT locking

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: center diff NOT locking

no there is no lurching feeling, but when i lock it it seems not to have as much acceleration, is that normal? i climbed under it and had someone lock it and unlock it, it seems to be moving the nipple about 1/2 inch maybe a little under.. how far is it supposed to travel? it doesnt seem to be bent, besides the bend that looks to be a 90 from the factory.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You might want to unhook the linkage and turn the nipple clockwise by hand about 90 degrees.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Overlanding

its at about the 6 o'clock position now, how far should i try moving it? also should i have the handle in the locked or unlocked position when i do it? also what do i need to remove the linkage or will it just pop off?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that the cdl will only "lock" the front and rear end, and turn off the ect. The axles are still open diff's and allfour wheels wont spin under a load unless you have front and rear lockers. Maybe this is a difference between the DI and DII?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Turn the nipple as far as you can turn it to engage the CDL, doesn't matter where your t/case shifter is set.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: tailchaser0527

I was under the impression that the cdl will only "lock" the front and rear end, and turn off the ect. The axles are still open diff's and all four wheels wont spin under a load unless you have front and rear lockers. Maybe this is a difference between the DI and DII?
Sure. you are still running open diffs but at least with the CDL engaged, you have the r/r and the l/f tires with equal power. With a D2, your ETC can also swith power while the CDL is engaged, from one wheel to the other on the same diff where the D1 didn't have that ability.
Also, with out CDL you can not run lockers.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Overlanding

i will try turning it as far as i can, what tools do i need to remove the linkage from the nipple?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

You will have to crawl under and look, I can't remember.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Three Wheeling

I recently hooked up a "ghetto lever" on my '99. The nipple stud is 8mm and I believe the nut size was 13 or 14mm. While on the subject of CDL I would like to share a story about something that recently happened to me. We got a bit of snow the other day. I've got a short,steep hill on my farm that's about 6' tall and the angle is about 75 degrees.(fairly steep)
It's grassy and I have climbed it several times with my disco as well as my Dakota 4x4 and S10 Blazer. The other day there was snow on it. I went to climb it with the disco. ETC kicked in but I didn't make it over the top. I backed up, got out, and engaged my Ghetto lever for CDL.
I still didn't make it over the top. Here's what's interesting though.....when I had gone as far as I could the ETC was swapping power side to side on both the front and rear axles as traction was lost, causing the vehicle to slide left and right in both the front and the back. It was comparable to a snake trying to slither up the hill. The truck was staying in one spot with traverse motion on both ends. I then went a got in my Dakota and climbed the hillwith no problem. This ticked me off. Of course the Dakota is a lighter vehicle and has more aggressive tires. The point of this story isin facttires. My Disco had Yokohama Geolander tires on it when I bought it, and they are practically brand new and they are more of a street tire. I can't justify replacing them right now but the crux of the buscuit here is.....CDL......ETC....LIFT....LOCKERS...whatever. .......if you don't have decent tires you still may not go anywhere.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Decent tires should anyways be your first investment. Yeah, it sucks when you buyatruck with brand new street tires, unless you don't see snow or go off road.

Quick Reply: center diff NOT locking