Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CENTER DIFF QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CENTER DIFF QUESTION

I know that the traction control system on the DII works with the ABS to control brake force at each corner for torque distribution from wheel to wheel in an axle under slippery conditions (when it works). However, what controls the torque split between the two axles with that open center diff for those of us with, say, an '02 that can't lock it?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: CENTER DIFF QUESTION

The TC system looks across the axles as well as front to rear to get its "average". So the TC system will control the torque split front to rear.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I will be honest in that I dislike this electronic business with respect to my four-wheel drive system. The failures, temporary fixes, and potential for failure (of this ABS system) on these leave me feeling uneasy. I prefer hard parts mechanically connected to other hard parts. That being said, I am looking into LSDs front and rear - leaning toward Truetracs. That leaves me with this center diff that, when the three amigos come knocking, leaves me with an open diff in the middle. What are my options to fix this on my '02? I have read about homemade linkages and shifter kits/linkages for those with late '99s,'00s and '01s to reconnect and operate their locking centers, but what abutthose of us rockin' the '02s and '03s?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The '02-'03 trucks are s.o.l. unless you do a t-case swap, or have the cdl bits retrofitted into your current case. I'd do that before adding any sort of locker.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I agree with D2Guy, you would be better investing the money in retrofitting your transfer case with a CDL first. Will actually work out cheaper than buying lockers for the front and rear to.

2 options, eithrt fit a complete transfer case from a scrap / wrecked vehicle, or buy the front output casting and CDL components and fit them to your case. All depends on what sort of mileage / condition your case is in etc.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Where can we get this retrofitting kit?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

From here in the UK, it wont be cheap.........but how bad do you want a CDL ??

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_17.html

Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

There is another option, buy a used damaged LT 230 t/case, remove the diif portion, clean and install it on your old t/case, then all you need is the linkage.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

$350 USD plus shipping!! I think thats cheaper than buying another TC.... and one could just make a custom shifter handle. Honestly, my traction Control works great for the novice trails I've found so far on this island. Maybe one day when I move back to the U.S. mainland I'll see a need for it.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Three Wheeling

I definitelywant the locking center diff on this rig. I am just working my way through the options to find the best one. Was the LT 235 t-case used in the DI's? I may know of a DI that is just sitting. I don't think it has been driven for a good while and thought about checking to see if I could either get parts off of it or just get it for anyting I could use. Any thoughts on this?

Also, is swapping those parts over to my t-case something a shadetree mechanic could accomplish, or does it require getting at the guts of the box -and is, therefore, best left for a pro?

Quick Reply: CENTER DIFF QUESTION