Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central locking diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Central locking diff

OK so I'm going to install a 04 cld handle in my 2000, everything looks staight forward. I do have a few questions from someone who has done it.
1. easy what size nut do i need to lock the cable onto the transfer case nipple?
2. What about wiring (yah I know there is no wiring to the handle) but what happens to the traction lock, HDC when I over ride them by manually locking the diff? seems to me if i lock the transfer case the traction control is still going to tell the ABS and stop the spinning wheel.

So is there something I need to plug in so the TC and ABS do not work while the transfer case is locked? or something that need to be switched so that I can shut off the TC & ABS

Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

easy answers.

1) 8mm - 1.25 hex nut
2) don't do anything.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Or you can read the sticky posted right above your thread on write ups, Josh has a step by step on doing this.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

so just install the handle and let the LR systems handle the rest.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

"YUP" and of course then go hit the trails, you will love the extra traction.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

If you engage the CDL with engine running, ABS and TC remain normal. If you start the vehicle while the CDL is engaged, the ABS and TC lights will come on, but will continue to work at a reduced rate. There is a wire coming from the SLABS ECU that can be cut to eliminate this noted in Josh's how-to, but I have yet to do that. I just remember to disengage the CDL before shutting down the vehicle, so when I restart it, the ABS and TC are back to normal. Granted, it is slightly annoying, as sometimes you have to reverse a few feet sometimes for the CDL light to extinguish when the handle is disengaged, before shutting the vehicle off.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 868 Likes on 630 Posts

I did EXACTLY this mod within the last month. I'll be happy to discuss these and other relevant points if you'll send your phone number to me via PM. Please include a convenient time for me to call.

For me the most difficult step by far was enlarging the opening in the shifter mounting plate to accommodate the '04 shifter's range of movement.

You also need to remove the solenoid from the '04 shifter before installing it.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope you have the 04 lever that mounts to the tbox cdl shaft, the one for the disco 1 is 90 degrees off. Found this out this morning on my install, and really hope the lever
is available seperately for the 04. I'll find out tomorrow.
Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 11-25-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
You also need to remove the solenoid from the '04 shifter before installing it.
You can leave the solenoid and install the arm from your old shifter if you want.

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
If you engage the CDL with engine running, ABS and TC remain normal. If you start the vehicle while the CDL is engaged, the ABS and TC lights will come on, but will continue to work at a reduced rate. There is a wire coming from the SLABS ECU that can be cut to eliminate this noted in Josh's how-to, but I have yet to do that. I just remember to disengage the CDL before shutting down the vehicle, so when I restart it, the ABS and TC are back to normal. Granted, it is slightly annoying, as sometimes you have to reverse a few feet sometimes for the CDL light to extinguish when the handle is disengaged, before shutting the vehicle off.
I didn't see in Joshs' intructions where to cut the wire.
Still a great write up!!
The wire to cut or remove from the ABS ECU connector is the same Black/Blue wire that connects to the diff lock switch. The connector# is C0506 (the center connector) at the ABS ECU.

Quick Reply: Central locking diff