Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The charge drain situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:03 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The charge drain situation ::..

Hello Roverers!

I'm onna roll today with two posts already! ...this past week I've been having some battery issues; my Disco had been having trouble starting throughout the week, but towards the end (Thursday & Friday) I've been needing to use jumper cables to start it.

Here is a little of background history...

The battery it had on was one of those used ones that you buy for less than $40 bucks and has lasted well over a year. Since a couple of months back I've known that it needed replacement, at least that's what the guys at Advanced Auto Parts had been saying after running their tests on it, apparently it had a bad cell, if I recall well; so I knew it was a matter of time.

About a month ago my A/C has also been giving me some issues, sometimes it turns on, some it doesn't; some it turns on but does not blow; some it does blow, but too soft or no cold air. Might not have anything to do with it.

Before that I had replaced the positive battery terminal, wires were already green; so I cut off as much as I could and replaced the terminal with a new one, all was fine after that.

Another minor issue involving electrical, was when my mechanic replaced the oil pan gasket, and missed removing one bolt; thinking he had taken all off, and pan not dropping, he used a pry bar and leaned it against the starter somehow, making a small dent there, since then the truck whined when turning on, but eventually that sound went away, or I got used to it.

Now back to yesterday and car not cranking, I decided to buy a new battery; placed my order online for an AutoCraft Gold SD Battery, Group Size 24, 700 CCA Part No 24-6-S) at AAP; and went this morning to pick it up and install it. Once installed I turned the key, truck fired up great, although did seem to hear that old starter whining a bit, but again the truck started fine.

To be on the safe side, now that the battery was "brand new", I asked them to run their tests and the "OH OH MOMENT" showed up.

First thing the guy tells me is that the battery says it's good, but needs charge, for what I told him I just brought it out of your store, installed it, fired up the truck, turned it off, and went in to ask for you guys to test it; his answer "that's weird, let me talk to my supervisor"...

They state that there must be a "CHARGE DRAIN" somewhere; alternator seems to work fine; battery suppose to be new; so the cables from the battery, or the starter itself must be the culprit.

They recommended to have it tested at a shop, so the exact "CHARGE DRAINER" may be detected, and to do it asap to avoid needing to jump start it sooner than later.

Below you will find both of the printouts from their tests, maybe it will help you guys give me a better info on what I should be looking for, any input will be very much appreciated once again! #KeepRovering

---

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 09-24-2016 at 04:17 PM.