Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Gas - The Argument

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cheap Gas - The Argument

So a friend of mine asked me this weekend why I always put premium into my Disco.

"Because that's what it takes."

His response was, "That's what it says, but I doubt it."

Instead of going to the typical refute, I took a different stance and realized something: running premium fuel doesn't cost that much more.

Think about it.

87 octane is $2.80/g
92 octane is $3.03/g

The difference? A whopping $0.23/g!

So at 20g, I paid a difference of $4.60.

$5?! An extra $5 a week! He spends more than that on smokes in a day. And since I don't smoke, I'll just put it into my gas tank.

There was no legitimate response.

At the end of the day, I guess what I'm trying to say is: you bought a Land Rover. Don't pinch pennies over something this stupid.

/pseudorant

PS: Those prices were from my fill-up this morning in Memphis, TN.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cheap Gas - The Argument

ORIGINAL: jmt

So a friend of mine asked me this weekend why I always put premium into my Disco.

"Because that's what it takes."

His response was, "That's what it says, but I doubt it."

Instead of going to the typical refute, I took a different stance and realized something: running premium fuel doesn't cost that much more.

Think about it.

87 octane is $2.80/g
92 octane is $3.03/g

The difference? A whopping $0.23/g!

So at 20g, I paid a difference of $4.60.

$5?! An extra $5 a week! He spends more than that on smokes in a day. And since I don't smoke, I'll just put it into my gas tank.

There was no legitimate response.

At the end of the day, I guess what I'm trying to say is: you bought a Land Rover. Don't pinch pennies over something this stupid.

/pseudorant

PS: Those prices were from my fill-up this morning in Memphis, TN.
Couldn't agree more.

At the moment I live in Philly and people drive over to NJ to buy gas due to it being a few pennies cheaper. The funny part is it costs them more in the gas they burn to and from 'Jersey, and the $3.00 toll to get back to PA. Not to mention the traffic etc.

People make me laugh sometimes ;-)

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Amen to that.

The price you will pay when your engine carbons up makes that $5.00 bucks worth it all the way!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not specifically about Land Rover but a guy that owns a local performance shop told me this...I never questioned it but its something to ponder:

In the meantime (and this works on almost every vehicle)ALWAYS run premium fuel. I know it cost more but when on premium fuel your vehicle will use the high octane spark table and increase your mileage. As an example in my wifes car it went from 22.4 to 24.7 a 10% increase. Regular at the time was $3.00 a gallon and premium was $3.18 so it only cost 6% more. So your 4% ahead buying more expensive fuel.
This works on pretty much all computer controlled cars. Some low compression cars will not benefit as they don't have the compression to need high octane. But all late model cars use a high octane and low octane table. Just remember that because of adaptive learning in the ECM it may take a tank or two to really show the increase.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The service manager at my caddy dealer told me once that my 03 was not starting because I was running premium through it. I freaked, made sure he was telling me what he was telling me, and then got my car out of the garage. I had people stopping me and the owner just happened to be there. I explained the situation to him. I shower the service manager the owner's manual where it stated that 91 was required. They get the same problems as the LR's.....carbon buildup.

I now have to drive 80 miles to have the Onstar upgraded.

Always run premium, it burns better and leaves fewer deposits.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention these days most states run an E-10 blend without even telling you..

Check out TopTierGas.com and fill up from their list of producers whenever possible.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I get premium for the price of mid-grade. Super Tuesday at my Shell station. $.06 off every gallon of premium, so we fill up every Tuesday no matter what the gauge says.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Three Wheeling

I wish. In Canada, premium is 15% more than regular! So a fillup on premium costs $13 more!

[:'(]

No reason for the price difference either.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JMT- why don't you tell your friend to start smoking the cheapest generic cigarettes he can find - probably do him more good than cheap gas in your truck

lol

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
4wd Low

I've read that about 10% of all the cars on the market need premium, for the rest it's not necessary and running premium will cause buildup because spark isn't able to ignite all of the gas in the combustion chamber. I'm not saying the disco is or is not part of this 10% or if this 10% figure is even true but it's something to ponder for most cars.

Quick Reply: Cheap Gas - The Argument