Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Check engine light

so I was on my way home last night and my check engine light came on, I will get the codes read tomorrow. anyways my first thought was my gas cap as I had just put about a half a tank of gas in about 6 or 7 miles before the light came on(I was almost on empty so there is only a half a tank right now), I know there have been a few of you post on here about the check engine light coming on because of the gas cap not being tight enough and was hoping someone could tell me how long did it take for the light to come on and if the light reset itself how long did it take to go off? in terms of miles driven.

as I said if it is still on tomorrow morning I will have the codes read and ask you guys about the results!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The gas cap is one of over 400 faults that can trip the check engine light, don't assume anything when it comes to your truck, go get the codes read and get back to us with the 4 digit fault code numbers.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I know I plan to get the codes read tomorrow as well as an oil change I am just wishful thinking that maybe it is something simple like that and hoped maybe with my explanation someone might say yah that sounds about right (with the whole CEL coming on in 6 or 7 miles). one of the big reasons I thought maybe the gas cap other than the fact that it came on right after that is that I was VERY tired and in a bit of a rush as I got fuel, so there is a small possibility that I didn't tighten the gas cap up tight enough.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just one of hundreds of possibilities, like Mike said. Hate to put you at ease if it is something else....

Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

quick update with a strange coincidence, I stopped at Checkers auto to get the codes read and they said they don't read them anymore but that Autozone was right across the street, so as I start the truck to leave the parking lot I notice my light is off, just to be sure I shut the truck off and turn it back on to make sure the bulb still works and everything seems fine!!! drove it on home and the light stayed off. I don't know why but I really had a feeling it was my gas cap (don't know if it was but it makes sense) I took it off and put it back on and it did feel a little different than usual so I guess that's why I thought that's what it was.

1 more question, even though the light is now off will the computer still store that code or is it gone now?, I would still like to make sure it is nothing that is going to turn it back on in a few days.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Usually not, when the light is off, the fault code is gone.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

thanks Mike, well I hope it stays off!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Make sure your gas cap clicks no less then 3 times and it will be tight.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK guys so the light came on again and I stopped and got it read with the result being P0150, I am going to check my o2 sensors and there connectors here in the next couple days. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

How many miles on your truck, if over 100,000 miles consider replacing all 4 02 sensors. Check out the prices on Atlantic British as well as Rover Connection, they have some of the better prices although they are still not cheap.

Quick Reply: Check engine light