Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chevy diesel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The olds 5.7 Diesel is what gives the 6.2 and 6.5 such a bad rep. The Olds motor is just a converted gas engine that can't handle compression like a real diesel.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mike, I was thinking it would make a good D1 with blown engine project not DII. My DII only has 84K miles on it and I hope it has another 84K left on the original engine.

baylink, this guy is probably using the 6.2 because they're easy to get here and much cheaper, even by the time you buy the adapter kits, than the TD5.

d2luvr, a bmw diesel would be a cool swap too. Any idea on cost and availability here in the states? My M50 is very reliable with good torque..I can just imagine how the diesel version would be!

Old 11-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Rock Crawling

It is harder to source and just as expensive as a TDI but so much smoother. My real taste is more to the tune of a DD 6V53. Plans to shove one in a F250 very soon. It is too heavy for a four wheel drive so this truck will be perfect.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not convert in a I6 from a mercedes or something smaller and lighter in weight?

Old 11-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
mike, I was thinking it would make a good D1 with blown engine project not DII. My DII only has 84K miles on it and I hope it has another 84K left on the original engine.

baylink, this guy is probably using the 6.2 because they're easy to get here and much cheaper, even by the time you buy the adapter kits, than the TD5.

d2luvr, a bmw diesel would be a cool swap too. Any idea on cost and availability here in the states? My M50 is very reliable with good torque..I can just imagine how the diesel version would be!
There is a group in Canada that installs BWM diesels in D1 and they work well, but here again, can't be done in a D2 cause of the tranny.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:44 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The 6.5 is nothing more than a bored out 6.2. They are extremely heavy engines at nearly 800 pounds for the long block. Reliability of both engines is average and you only gain about 30hp going from the 6.2 to a naturally aspirated 6.5. I've had both engines in my 85 GMC and the 6.5 is by far the way to go.

The 6.6 Duramax is an entirely different engine and will not fit in the engine compartment of a Disco. The Duramax was a team prject between GM and Isuzu's medium truck division to compete with the Cummins and Powerstroke. (The Cummins is hands down the best light truck diesel on the road and the same engine Dodge is using does well in medium duty trucks.)

Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
yeah I know we talk about swapping in a diesel all the time, but has anybody done the chevy diesel swap? There's a guy on my local LR forum that is putting one in a D1. He's using the 6.2L but I would of gone with the 6.5L. He picked it up from a army base (engine is used in humvees) I remember seeing the adapter kit for this conversion a while back. Its $1k for the transmission kit and $150 for the engine mounts. He claims the engine doesn't weigh as much as other diesels of similar size.
I have read that the 6.5, due to the exhaust manifolds and turbo, are too wide for a Disco or RRC. I don't know for sure though.

Did your friend ever end up getting the engine into his truck? Did he use the thousand dollar conversion package from Mark's4wd? Where did he get the motor mounts? What kind of radiator did he use? upgraded water pumps? How did the AC and power steering work out?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
TReK

here's what his last post said..but it seems like i talked to somebody about his conversion and they said he had decided to go another route.

"I have had no luck finding a kit off the shelf for this engine. I have looked around on this side of the pound and over in England. I have started to fab one myself. I started with 3/4 MDF and have the backing plate made for now. Next I will be starting on the flex plate to torque converter adapter. Then I will have a machine shop make it out of metal. then starts the long list of small stuff to get done. "

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM

thanks for the reply, though it seems yet another dead end.

Finding someone to talk to about this swap is exceedingly difficult.

I have figured out how to divorce the LT230 and run it behind a manual transmission via a shorty driveshaft, but still have questions about the cooling issue.

I am thinking an upgraded water pump and dual thermostats are necessary, but what I am wondering is if they will counteract a smaller radiator...it will be difficult to fit a 31X19 (stock chevy diesel radiator) inch radiator into the RRC I think, and even then, I might need the upgraded water pump and dual thermostats WITH the oversized chevy radiator.

But I don't know because I have not talked to anyone that have stuck a 6.2 into the D1 or RRC chassis.

Anyone have a clue about the cooling issue?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
TReK

what size is the stock RRC radiator? maybe buy an after market aluminium radiator..they're not cheap but dissipate heat at a much faster rate.

Quick Reply: chevy diesel conversion