Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chief cheif Challenge prepreation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:16 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Chief cheif Challenge prepreation

Some of you folks in the New England area may be aware of the upcoming muddy chief challenge sceduled for August 2014. Anyways Id like to attend if circumstances do improve finaically. Wanted to throw on an HD bumper, diferential guards and loads of other stuff but thats just not possible this year. So i need some advice on the minimum things i should get for my truck. Already have a 2" hd lift and my steering damper and tie rods are all new. Front driveshaft was replaced with serviceable shaft. Have the ultraguage and the 180 thermostat. Just had all the brakes done to. Im going to ditch my street tires for some guard dog retreads and id like to get a snorkle. Anything else i should seriously consider? Wont be ordering anything until it gets closer to August but im gonna make a budget for the things i need to get. Also what is the best course of action for my CD changer? Thought about temporarily removing it but wondered if there are any other options? I expect to do some moderate water crossing and i dont want my power seats or CD changer to get destroyed. How about applying a thick layer of dielectric grease to all the wires, ports and connectors and f

Fyi if i can make it this year, it will be my very first time attending any such event and will be my first off road experience...... Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TRIARII; 06-07-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

snorkel is just about the last thing you'll ever get for a truck. They're pretty perfectly useless, and cost more than a lot of necessary modifications.

BTW it's muddy "chef", as in, you go off road and then there's a cooking challenge

Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh I have a snorkel. I only actually used it once in flood waters... and it was while I was testing it out
It is pretty useless, but I like it, I just tell myself I'm not sucking in dust from the wheel well anymore...

On a real note though, just get mud tires and hope your door seals hold.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:14 PM
TReK

so up until now I always thought that having a snorkel was vital for any water crossing endeavors. Now a couple of you are suggesting that we dont need them at all. I find it hard to believe that both the Camel Trophy and G4 challenges fitted snorkels for cosmetic purposes. Please elaborate people.

On another note Ive heard that a improperly installed snorkel is in fact useless, but if you install it correctly and modify the engine air box then having a snorkel is very useful. I also had the impression that air is sucked into the engine from the wheel wells, cant imagine how raising where the air is sucked in would be useless while water crossing.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Camel trophy = 200Tdi
G4 - Td5

Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I think their points are that you get more bang for the buck on other mods (Things that will be used every time you go out as opposed to, one time every few years). If you truly are going to do a lot of water crossing, then it may be more beneficial to you than another mod.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Camel Trophy

extended axle breathers are more beneficial then a snorkel

Old 06-08-2014, 11:44 AM
TReK

Check out this link: A question for D1 and D2 owners who have Mantec snorkels - 4x4 Community Forum

someone admitted they are mostly useless however: "
1) Cooler air = more dense = more O2 = better economy
2) Cleaner air = better breathing and longer lasting air filters
3) Much lower chance of messing up the MAF when wading deep.

Some Disco 1's breathe air from inside the engine bay. They will benefit from much cooler air. Disco2 draws air from the cavity behind the left front fender so temp wise the benefit is not huge but the "cleaner air" benefit is"

Old 06-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can wade deeper and you'll have cleaner air intakes, but that's it.

MPG gain is a load of crap and your not getting cooler air intake temps in the D2.

Plus, you don't want to go into deep water without diff guards, and a steel bumper. I broke my headlights, blinkers, and my grille going into some deep water. That "thing" that I hit, whatever it was, slammed the front of my truck hard and did some damage. There's always hidden stuff under water that will ruin your day.

Last edited by Dane!; 06-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Fwiw, d2 air intake was noticeably lower after snorkel. I monitored.
Zach, where do you suggest raising the rear breather? Pillar?

Quick Reply: Chief cheif Challenge prepreation