Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clueless-tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 05:12 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clueless-tranny

Hey, everyone! If you couldn't tell from my handle. I'm having a hard time finding the bean to flick. Quick details are 2002. Discovery SE. High miles, I bought it for winter beater. And a work rig. My problem Is I can't get the vehicle to shift. I go to take off and I get a whining noise from underneath and as I step on the throttle. I start to get some clicking and clunking like something is slipping and not engaging. . So my carsoft 2.0 showed up today, and I figured I would pull some codes off the transmission, but I'm not showing anything. I am completely lost and new to the Disco world. I would love some ideas on what to look for if anyone else is using the carsoft. Software what I should be reading. On the Diagnostics. The only thing that kind of stuck out to me was So my car soft 2.0 showed up today and I figured I would pull some codes off the transmission but I'm not showing anything. I am completely lost and new to the Disco world. I would love some ideas on what to look for if anyone else is using the car soft software what I should be reading on the Diagnostics. the only thing that kind of stuck out to me was when I was reading the carsoft diagnostic referring to gear position as I was in Drive. It read it was reading first and as i moved the column into third and then second, the diagnostic continued reading first?.... And another thing was it showed the kickdown "inactive", any ideas guys and gals?

Old 02-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

hard to say whether it's mechanical or in the electrical system. Maybe start with a fluid level check or change, maybe a filter change, maybe sticking valve; and look at the gear position arm on driver side and compare to appropriate position. There is an electronic selector that the arm passes through, check the unit for damage and rest of trans wiring harness for damage/poor connections. Get the RAVE manual and read through the diagnostic section for trans.

Disco Gear Selector Switch

Last edited by XRAD; 02-06-2020 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Di$coVirgin (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

Welcome you are starting the hard way with a code reader. This pretty simple stuff:

1st problem:
  • Transfer case is not engaged in neutral or between gears
  • Transmission is shot
  • Transmission fluid is burnt or almost empty
  • Transfer case is empty
  • Transfer case is shot
  • Differentials and drive shaft issues
How to check things

Transfer case gear selection
  • just move it from high to neutral to low and back 3 or 4 times
  • Back to high try moving
  • Then low
  • Finally neutral - be careful here it can be a bit dodgy and if you are not all the way in it makes a terrible noise.

Transfer case - do a quick search on how to check the fluid
  1. Disco as as possible level
  2. Rent a serpentine belt tool - see image below but use the short 1/2 drive bar on your filler nut.
  3. Remove the filler plug - a wee bit if fluid should leak out - if none you need to top it up
  4. Top it up if required try again

Transmission this one is tough because you need the Disco running and in Neutral - AND YOU NEED TO BE ABSOLUTELY SURE IT IS IN NEUTRAL you are going to under there, same deal search for check transmission fluid before starting.
  • remove the transmission filler plug a thin stream of RED fluid should come out
  • If it is not RED you need a transmission service before going any further
  • If nothing comes out top up while running
  • Try after again topping up
After these 2 if you are still stuck you can jack up one end, use jack stands, a spin a tire, with the engine off see it spins freely or binds listen carefully as it spins for clicking or other odd noises
The crawl under and check the drive shaft for damage and binding
Same with the other end

If you find nothing I would recommend a transmission shop - it can pretty complicated past this

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 02-06-2020 at 05:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Di$coVirgin (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:00 PM
5th Gear

Thank you for the mechanical Direction. . I know the transfer case selector is working fine between high low and neutral. . I'm working on it outside in the North Country. So between daylight and weather. My work times are intermittent. . I did. Have all four tires off the ground and was freewheeling and everything seemed to work fine with no noise. Spin front tire and the rear tire moves also. I did all my spinning from the front, so I actually didn't go back and listen to the rear diff. . Tried really quick check in the trans fluid, but Didn't have the right. Allen socket To drain or check level. I will continue on with mechanical Diagnostics, I was hoping with the carsoft that it was just a simple module or something. , I've been reading and came across one thread wear. Water had leaked in through the windshield pillar and damaged module on the firewall. And I bought this vehicle with no windshield pillar trim. So water has obviously been leaking down there. So that was somewhere I thought I might start, LOL. But to no avail.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:03 PM
5th Gear

And I have downloaded The Rave. Onto an iPad and that's basically French. I'm trying to learn. . I haven't spent a lot of time looking at it. I know how to read obviously, LOL, but trying to figure out which sections talking about what is taking me a little time.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:42 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

The Rave will explain everything, not that I have read the transmission section. If it is shot, the tranny is really pretty reliable you could swap in a used one.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:17 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, I guess I just need to find some time in between dealing with all three kids. Read The Rave. I bought a parts vehicle same year same model or so. I thought, until I posted a picture of it and some guy said I hope you're working on the white one because that's a Kalahari. Did a little research and turns out there's only a hundred and fifty of those made that year. . Which basically just makes it a rare pile, lol? The Kalahari has engine problems. So I was kind of hoping just to start swapping Parts until everything started working again.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:35 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Cool
Can you post pictures of the Kalahari here?

Old 02-07-2020, 11:06 AM
5th Gear

she has the 16s, the badges, front bar and ladder, no roof rack though