Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk in transmission on deceleration only

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Clunk in transmission on deceleration only

97 DI w/ 129k miles:

It drives great and shifts smoothly and on time however when coming to a stop, and I let off the gas and begin to brake I feel and hear a clunk from the transmission that sounds like something big and heavy inside the tranny slid and shifted forward.

It does not sound or feel like the typical rover drive-line clunk we all normally have.

I am planning on changing the tranny filter if I have luck removing the cross member but I don't know what else I could do, or what it can be.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

No one???

Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A trunk-monkey maybe? I take it you have already checked your driveshafts and brakes to make sure all are seated properly? Are you sure the sound is coming from the tranny and not the transfer case?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

The trunk monkey was underneath the disco when I was testing the diff lock and I smelled jerky all of a sudden so... I think he's no longer with us.

I am 100% positive that I have NO idea if it's the Transfer Case or Transmission. BUT I am 100% sure it's one or the other. You know how sometimes you might feel or hear a clunk when you engage reverse in a rig that is old or neglected and it clunks. well it's like that except only happens in the situation i described. EDIT: it happens when I engage in reverse too... but I don't think it should be happening while slowing down. Could it be that the transmission is just down shifting into a lower gear and that shift is what I am hearing?

I will be working on it all weekend so maybe Sat evening I will post my first findings on it.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Check your radius and trailing arm bushings to see if one is shifting, Oh what the hell, check all your suspension and steering bushing, you have nothing better to do this weekend.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Check your radius and trailing arm bushings to see if one is shifting, Oh what the hell, check all your suspension and steering bushing, you have nothing better to do this weekend.
Thanks Mike... you know me too well.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Mudding

I have a similiar feeling on the tranny as well... when slowing down with the brakes, feels like someone is hitting the gas (I am not hitting the gas accidently).... And I have checked the suspension... all tight...

It feels like the tranny kicks down a gear but the engine just blips a bit and accelerates... but its not actually the engine acceleration...

Anyone experience this?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Also both of you check your motor mounts, especially the drivers side.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Josh, check the tire pressure, when I had a nail in one of my old tires It got low and my truck clunked like that until I aired it back up, then I new it was time for more air when it clunked again.
Also check the rear axle where it mounted to the truck, that bushing goes bad and can cause clunks, that clunk might be telescoping up to the tranny area.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Mudding

mike, any procedures for checking the motor mounts, or just the obvious ones of yarding and pulling on it, plus looking for obvious visual signs of failure?

Quick Reply: Clunk in transmission on deceleration only