Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes P1177 & P1179 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes P1177 & P1179 Code

Hey everyone. Would these codes make the engine make any kind of ticking or chirping noises. P1177 & P1179. I have taken my disco to 3 shops, no one can figure out why I have this noise. I have change the belt,passenger side cat, check for leak in the exhaust, changed the manifold gaskets, plugs,did a engine flush, used some stuff called zmax, I used seafoam, and some stuff called B20 engine detergent. I still have this noise. Called Land Rover Dealer talked to a service tech, that sound could be manifold crack. Engine runs strong. I really need help. Everyone I talked to says to sell the truck because it's going to cost to much to fix her. I live in a small town and really know one knows how to work on them. The closest dealer or someone who know rovers is 4 south or 4 hours east. I made an appointment to get a compression check done it I guess that will tell me if it's my valves is what I was told. Is this correct? Thanks for your input ..

Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

When does it make this sound? Does it go away when the engine temperature change or is it always there? I read on another forum that the codes could be caused by a misfire.

What year and how many miles on your truck? Do you know any of the maintenance history before you bought it?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverRover1
Hey everyone. Would these codes make the engine make any kind of ticking or chirping noises. P1177 & P1179. I have taken my disco to 3 shops, no one can figure out why I have this noise. I have change the belt,passenger side cat, check for leak in the exhaust, changed the manifold gaskets, plugs,did a engine flush, used some stuff called zmax, I used seafoam, and some stuff called B20 engine detergent. I still have this noise. Called Land Rover Dealer talked to a service tech, that sound could be manifold crack. Engine runs strong. I really need help. Everyone I talked to says to sell the truck because it's going to cost to much to fix her. I live in a small town and really know one knows how to work on them. The closest dealer or someone who know rovers is 4 south or 4 hours east. I made an appointment to get a compression check done it I guess that will tell me if it's my valves is what I was told. Is this correct? Thanks for your input ..
Send me your tele number and I'll call you today and walk you thru things to check.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Drifting

The sound is when you accelerate , The codes are a misfire. but what causing it is what I'm trying to find out. The year of the disco is 1996 it has 108,400. When the engine is cold it barley makes the sound. when warmed up then it's a sound that happens all the time. Right when I start to hit a hill the sound happens and I have to watch not to gas it so the sound won't be so loud. The temp doesn't change stays where it's suppose to be. The truck was from a auction so the history was not available. I called a LR dealer and asked for them to look up my vin and they where able to give .me a little history but not much. I was told by a land rover mechanic in San Francisco to check for any recalls to the manifold. No Luck there. But he said that if it was internal the engine light would be flashing. I didn't know if this was correct or not. So he said to really check hard at the manifold to see if there is a leak. Still trying to save this disco. I found a manifold for 50 bucks. I have an appointment next week to do a compression check and was also told to check for a purge valve that might be the cause of this too.
I really hope this works.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

1177 and 1179 are not misfire faults and can not cause any type of noise.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Drifting

If these are not misfire codes what are they. When ever I hook my computer up to the truck it says misfire!! I sent my telephone number to you i will be working on the truck today and would really like to talk to someone that might have an Idea whats going on with my rig. Thanks Disc Mike for being here to answer all the question.