Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil ADVENTURE TIME!!! W/pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Coil ADVENTURE TIME!!! W/pics!

So for awhile I had an intermittent cyl 5 misfire and an out of the blue cyl 2 misfire. Then finally the other night I got cyl 5 and 8 always misfiring so I started the coil replacement fun time!

scanner

intake manifold removed!

What the hell happened here?

Got it back together and then got cyl 5 and 8 misfire again AND now 4 and 7!! I pulled the plugs again and checked for spark and there was none. Checked spark on cyl 1 just to rule out plugs (only 30k old) and it was orange, not strong and blue. So off to Orielly's for a replacement.

I used the Import Direct ignition coil 23-0134. I'm taking my multimeter up to the store this time. Hopefully the next one is good

replaced the wires with some new Kingsborne I bought a long time ago

Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

That will buff out,

Old 08-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope you put all the bolts back in the coil mount. Should be four.

When I replace a coil, I replace the wires and plugs, just to eliminate everything.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I couldn't get one bolt back in the coil mount.

So now I'm at a loss. I still have misfire 5 and 8 and when i pulled 8 to examine while running, it has a very weak, and intermittent spark. I didn't pull 5 to check the spark on that one...don't see the need too.

Seems odd that the second replacement coil would be bad on the same cylinders even!

I replaced the spark plugs as well just to rule that out. The wires are new Kingsbornes too.

could it be a bad second coil as well? Yes they are both aftermarket

Old 08-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Make sure you're getting good voltage to the coils. Pretty sure they get their power thru the internal fuse block under the dash. If it's been damaged by water. Or check the coil pack wires at the coil.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just checked fuses inside and under hood and all look good. Visual only. I found in RAVE its fuse 14

Rave shows both coils past fuse 14 so if I was getting bad voltage wouldn't I have more than 5 and 8 misfire?

Also, when you say check the coil pack wires at the coil, I assume you mean the harness plugs. Do you know what setting on my voltmeter I should set it too?

I checked 8 and 5 wires and they read .645 k ohms.My old magnecor 8 and 5 wires read 4.13 k ohms. Not sure if that means the kingsbornes are bad or good. Was going to call them in the morning.

The new coil reads .3 k ohmsat the harness plug end and I believe it's supposed to be .5 k ohms plus or minus .05 which is why i suspect the coil...

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

Last edited by The_OGCJR; 08-07-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

well everythings gone to ****.

I determined half the last coil set was bad so I swapped the known good oe coil for the bad side and since the other coil wasn't triggering misfires, I reinstalled that one too. One thing I noticed is the aftermarket coil is slightly taller than oe and has a thicker base.

After all that I still have misfires on 5,8 and now 7. Also have low voltage code but I did have the battery disconnected so would that just be related to that?
The top end is rythmically knocking loudly too.
Also the truck won't idle now. I guess because of the misfires

I don't know where to go from here. I'm thinking a compression test on all cylinders.

Hopefully some of you guys can help me out. Where do I go from here?

Last edited by The_OGCJR; 08-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Double check your wiring connections to the coil packs, then makes sure all the leads are tight on both ends (plug and coil). Also make sure you have the intake tightened back up and no unhooked vacuum lines. That is where I would start.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Fuel Injectors.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe there is a control problem. Especially if you're sure the coils are getting power.
Did you try testing the incoming power with a test light? Sometimes a multi meter isn't the best tool for testing wires. The meter may read 12 volts, but if the wire can't carry any current, it's never going to work.

Quick Reply: Coil ADVENTURE TIME!!! W/pics!