Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack Relocation (For much easier access)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
I hear you..i too have thought about relocating it..but like every other thing on these trucks is just plain " F$cking stupid" so i would have to rebuild and relocate everything on this truck....I think they had in mind that they where catering to rich people who dont work on there trucks so why not make it time consuming to be able to bill $$$$ for a stupid task a blind monkey could do...

Anyway. I did my daughters about 4 months ago and did not remover anything...Yes, i am a lazy *** and hate to conform to something so F$cking stupidly designed and let them win.. I layed a moving blanket foled over 3 times so it was super paded on top of the engine. I had a diagram of the coil pack and it went pretty quick. I took a large screwdriver and poped off the wire ends at the coil starting at the top and working my way to the bottom. I then reversed by starting at the bottom out side and worked left to right one by one.It was a little tight but took me no more than 15 minutes . You have to lay on top of the engine on the blanket when you are doing this. pretty easy.. Give it a try and i did at night so it wasnt 100 degrees out...

Have fun, Chris

Great nothing like the image of humping my engine bay!!! Since I'm pulling my engine I'm going to do my best to move these coils to a better location. I'll keep you posted on my creativity. One coil fits nicely between the plenum runners, to bad I have a left over coil!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Three Wheeling

To begin with, I don't really understand why everyone is so hell fired up to change their plug wires anyway. I went 100,000 miles and never had a single coil pack or plug wire problem. These are things that you normally do not mess with much. The position of the coil packs, I suspect, has something to do with protection during river fording.

Now, any of you might think you know a better place but based on what?

Even if you did, if you had more experience and expertise and were smarter than all of the people that work at Land Rover - well first you'd have to figure out where you were going to move the packs to. Then you'd have to adapt or fabricate a mount after which you'd have to splice in and extend the two engine harness connectors. Then there would be the plug leads themselves. Unless you were some sort of mathematical genius and had figured out an ideal new mounting position so that ALL of the ignition wires for a standard Discovery would perfectly reach all of the intended spark plugs you'd have to fabricate a custom set, along with supports and guides.

So after all of that work and expense you finally have the coil packs in an accessible position with new wires and guess what....nothing ever went wrong with them, you never needed that easy access.

What's the point?

Last edited by kcabpilot; 05-21-2011 at 03:39 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 05-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default the point..

Originally Posted by kcabpilot
To begin with, I don't really understand why everyone is so hell fired up to change their plug wires anyway. I went 100,000 miles and never had a single coil pack or plug wire problem. These are things that you normally do not mess with much. The position of the coil packs, I suspect, has something to do with protection during river fording.

Now, any of you might think you know a better place but based on what?

Even if you did, if you had more experience and expertise and were smarter than all of the people that work at Land Rover - well first you'd have to figure out where you were going to move the packs to. Then you'd have to adapt or fabricate a mount after which you'd have to splice in and extend the two engine harness connectors. Then there would be the plug leads themselves. Unless you were some sort of mathematical genius and had figured out an ideal new mounting position so that ALL of the ignition wires for a standard Discovery would perfectly reach all of the intended spark plugs you'd have to fabricate a custom set, along with supports and guides.

So after all of that work and expense you finally have the coil packs in an accessible position with new wires and guess what....nothing ever went wrong with them, you never needed that easy access.

What's the point?
more experience, expertise and what was that other word...?? Smart.... You must be kidding me...Please dont associate word's to F$cking morons who did a sh$t job on something so simple as a truck...Give me a break ..we send people to space..These are the one's that didn't get that job with Nasa....or flunked out for sure... They sure flunked the test of KISS...""Keep it simple and Stupid" well they got the stupid right i guess...

Old 05-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
word's to F$cking morons
Quoted for irony.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't NASA the people who bounced a lander off Mars because they confused meters and yards?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Is the coil pack in the same position as the Distributor on the older motors? That is probably why it is there as it has a similar location to the old ignition system.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

no. but it is in the same place as the coil pack on the older engine. the distributor was in the front. could be worse though... the older jeep grand cherokees with the v8 had the distributor in the back, up underneath the cowl. talk about a fun cap and rotor replacement.

Last edited by jafir; 05-21-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I never thought I'd generate such excitement on this post, Good Stuff!!!

Yes, the igition coil and plug wire are not high failure items. I've too have had my original wires on my 04' for 80K with no issue, but I will change them this time around.

In my opinion, it is easier to pull the plenum and replace the coil and wires then try and complete the job with the plenum installed. This is from seeing how difficult it is to pull the coil out with the plenum off.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:10 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just relocated my coil pack on 2001 disco 2.
very easy. We took off the hood and was able to reach the old coil pack harness. Plugged in the new extension and plugged in the new coil. I got the kit from Tarheel.
Again very easy, looks great, new wires, new plugs. Runs like new

Quick Reply: Coil Pack Relocation (For much easier access)