Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competency required to change head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competency required to change head gaskets?

Finally found out where all of the coolant has been going on my 99 D2. I had my local shop do a pressure test on the cooling system. I suspected what the problem was from my research in these forums, but without leading them I wanted to see what they would find. They called me back and informed me it needs new head gaskets. My question is this; would a “regular” shop that has all of their current ASE certifications, has a good reputation and normally does a good job be qualified to do this job? I will order the complete gasket set from British Atlantic, so parts won’t be an issue. He didn’t seem phased by the job at all which either means it’s a piece of cake for him or he has no idea what he’s in for. Do you guys think I should look for someone more familiar with Rovers? Is there anything unique to it they would need to know? Also, any opinion on replacing the head bolts versus chasing the threads on the original ones and reusing them? Any advice as always, would be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

How much are they quoting you?

You must use new bolts.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in the middle of doing it. It involves taking out the:

Upper intake manifold
Lower intake manifold
Rocker covers
A/C compressor
PAS pump/housing
Viscous fan
Alternator/Alternator housing
exhaust manifold
Auxiliary belt and assorted pulleys
and other assorted parts and hoses.

I am halfway through it took me about 12 hours so far but I have never worked on an engine before. See my other harbor freight post for a list of tools you need (plus the normal wrenches, screwdrivers, socket you have laying around). The shop will probably charge you around $1500-$2500 depending.

The Rave CD or shop manual will give you an exact procedure and it is not that hard if you are mechanically inclined. It is a lot of keeping parts and bolts labelled so you know where they came from. I will take a picture of what it looks like right now with all the pieces removed.

Oh yeah the Head Gasket kit is $160 from Atlantic British and the bolts are $80 and thermostat is $20. Those are the minimum parts. I also will need to replace a few hoses that I either broke trying to get out a bolt or were old and need replacement.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jycsalas
How much are they quoting you?

You must use new bolts.
He said $700 if there were no other issues. That was with him providing just the head gaskets, but he knew there would be more gaskets/parts needed. I didn't get a breakdown of parts/labor, but I think he said a full day labor. I get everything from Atlantic British, and he said he would prefer I source parts, so I'll get the head bolt set too.

Last edited by i_m_jon; 06-25-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Winching

Do yourself a favor and have the heads checked out for warpage at a machine shop...
just got my heads back today and they were pretty warped, they had to do 15 thousandths in three directions... any more than that they would have had to machine my valves and such

Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

$700 is a great price lowest I ever heard of but if he does not know the parts needed off the top of his head you have to wonder, you will need all the gaskets like I said (up, lower intake, exhaust, rocker covers, plus other random O rings the whole kit is $160 plus a thermostat). It is usually a 10 hour job so 1 day is being optimistic but he may be real good. Also the cylinder heads need to be inspected by a machinist and refaced if necessary.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

By the time you buy a head gasket kit, head bolts, t/stat, new upgraded upper radiator hoses and plug wires,along with fluids and filters, you be in it for around $350 in parts. $700 is very reasonable if he can do the job well and of course head inspection/repair costs.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Winching

My head gasket job is being done at around five hundred bucks labor, five hundred for the machine shop, and 200 for a towjob about 150 miles from door to door.... so cheap because its my wifes family's mechanic theyve used for 25 years... not bad huh?
oh and this guy does excellent work, and he keeps my truck locked up inside the garage at night... not like it moves right now anyway but im glad hes keeping it safe

Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by JBEGIN
My head gasket job is being done at around five hundred bucks labor, five hundred for the machine shop, and 200 for a towjob about 150 miles from door to door.... so cheap because its my wifes family's mechanic theyve used for 25 years... not bad huh?
oh and this guy does excellent work, and he keeps my truck locked up inside the garage at night... not like it moves right now anyway but im glad hes keeping it safe
Is the machine shop cost of $500 just to machine the heads? That seems pretty expensive no?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by lipadj46
$700 is a great price lowest I ever heard of but if he does not know the parts needed off the top of his head you have to wonder, you will need all the gaskets like I said (up, lower intake, exhaust, rocker covers, plus other random O rings the whole kit is $160 plus a thermostat). It is usually a 10 hour job so 1 day is being optimistic but he may be real good. Also the cylinder heads need to be inspected by a machinist and refaced if necessary.
In fairness to him, when called me, he gave me that price and knew he would need a lot more parts. I don't think he wanted a research project on the parts before even speaking to me about it. He also knows I like to get my parts from Atlantic British and probably figured I would just get him everything he needed. I already replaced all of the hoses and thermostat trying to find the problem through the process of elimination.

Quick Reply: Competency required to change head gaskets?