Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation on oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive actually noticed when I top off my expansion tank to level when stone cold it seems to run a little rougher and it drops down to a lower level and smoothes out and then stays there... is that normal too? but I don't see anything in the cap... just oil color... occasionally I smell a little sweetness in cabin but not always... most of these things happen to me when I make my 7 mile trip to work and back .. yesterday I opener er up on the highway and drove all day and most of the sounds and rough idle went away but still curious about coolant level.. also I have the orange and afraid to change and afraid to keep! lol

Dennis
KB5TQT

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dennis, first of all the coolant level will not cause the engine to run rough, that is a separate issue. The fact that you are smelling coolant would suggest you need to get a coolant pressure test run ASAP to find and fix a leak.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Dennis, first of all the coolant level will not cause the engine to run rough, that is a separate issue. The fact that you are smelling coolant would suggest you need to get a coolant pressure test run ASAP to find and fix a leak.
You shouldn't be a Rover owner if changing to a better coolant is too much on you. Just wait till your head gaskets and t/stat fail then you can go from being afraid to kicking your *** for being stupid.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I drove it around 100 miles today, just got home and checked the oil cap and fluid levels. The cap was as clean as yesterday after I cleaned it and reinstalled it and the Dip stick oil was good as well. I will check coolant level after its cooled off so I can compare at like temps.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Always check your coolant level only when the engine is stone cold for the best accuracy.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You shouldn't be a Rover owner if changing to a better coolant is too much on you. Just wait till your head gaskets and t/stat fail then you can go from being afraid to kicking your *** for being stupid.
Yup I agree and I have no problem disassembling this thing to the last bolt... lol but being new here , Im just trying to grasp all the "changes" lol It came with the orange, and Ill put the green in next week when I have some time.... on the engine... when I drive it last few days and put some real miles on it and not the 7 miles to work and back at 25mph in my area, it really smoothed out... Im also switching from Mobile one which I just put in it as I already had a new jug of it but then found the forum so deciding to goto the Rotella synthetic ... Thanks again! Im just chipping away at the small and big things as I can with 1 day off a week! lol

Thanks!
Dennis

Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

This morning with everything 28 deg stone cold I Checked the antifreeze level and it has not changed and the oil cap is clean and free from any moisture. Does this mean the crud on the cap was probably due to condensation from the type of driving I had been doing? Hopefully Im in the clear but, I do have a warranty on the headgaskets that expires in February.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Hopefully that was left over from before the head gaskets were done; you will need to keep an eye on it.
You really need to take the long way home from work at least once a week; you are not doing your truck any favors with your short 7-mile commute. Trips as short as you make actually promote condensation buildup, not just in your engine oil but all your fluids (i.e. diffs & transfer case) and your exhaust. JMHO

Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I live 50 miles from work but , we only drive the landrover when we need to take the whole family somewhere. It does make at least 1 hundred mile trip a week plus a couple short trips. It's just we had a several week period where it only went a couple miles a trip while we were waiting on new tires to arrive. There would have been nothing left from the old gasket change the oil has been changed and flushed out a half dozen times since then.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Sorry from the original post it sounded like you only drove in short trips, the scum would have been left over from before the head gaskets unless someone actually took the time to clean it out of the cap.

Quick Reply: Condensation on oil cap