Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Congealed coolant on top of valve cover...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congealed coolant on top of valve cover...

So last night I lift up the hood on my 99 Disco to check the oil, and visually take a look around. Well I noticed that on the drivers side valve cover there was 'blobs' of pink/orange coolant, it was like the consistency of hand cleaner in a tub or something like that, anyway I thought great, my two month old Disco needs a head gasket but no coolant in the oil, the dipstick was clean, and no oil in the coolant resorvior bottle. As you can see the other side of the engine is clean.

So I'm thinking one of the little coolant lines that run over the valve cover on the drivers side must be dripping coolant out, as anyone else had this issue? Thanks for any input.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Congealed coolant on top of valve cover...

I would have to say that it is the gasket that goes to the throttle body. There are coolant lines that heat the t-body to keep it from icing up in cold weather and that gasket can leak. I believe that the part is pretty cheap, those who live in warm areas sometimes by-pass the t-body heater once this happens. How they do it I do not know.
Now for a word of caution, DexCool is corrosive if it is not properly maintained, the PH balance on it needs to be checked every 6 months, if it is off by to much it will eat gaskets. This is a proven fact and there was a class action lawsuite against GM for this very thing. Intake gaskets going bad around 80k becasue the coolant was eating them.
If it is properly maintained you are fine.
LR recommends that you change your coolant every 36 months or 45k, whichever is sooner.
And brake fluid every 24 months or 36k.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling

+1 for the t-body heater. One of the hoses on mine is leaking, need to fix it but anyway it drips on the Valve cover.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My return hose to the bottle was leaking at the connection by the throttle body (rubber hose to rubber hose connection). It only seemed to do it when the reservoir was full and stopped when it got an inch low. You might fill the reservoir bottle up to the line with water, start the engine and watch for leaks, it was pretty obvious.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the update guys, I'll run it and look for the leak, actually I have new coolant / distilled water ready to go as that was one of the remaining 60K things that I needed to do - thanks again, I'll check back in when I've isolated the culprit.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Mudding

I would just take a small piece of 3/8' copper pipe, bend it into the shape of a "U", and connect the two hoses that come off of the throttle body together. I did it and it worked like a charm. Also, you never have to worry about the system leaking again...... hard to say for alot of LR products

The thottle body warming plate is used to prevent frost from forming on the throttle body and causing it to stick. I'm no expert but it would have to be pretty damn cold for that to happen........so if you dont plan on crossing the arctic any time soon just save some time and money and do what I'm suggesting.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Neat idea starcraft, thanksfor the headsup - I have to get out my rave cd and look under the hood this weekend to really see what you guys are talking about, although I think I know becaudse there is this one area by the TB where these little hoses are coming together. At any rate much appreciated, I live in the semi-desert here in california so I don't think I'll need anything dealing with anti-freeze properties soon.