Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connector for Transmission Cooler Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Connector for Transmission Cooler Sensor

I took my grill off to wire up some spot lights, and I noticed that the plug for the transmission oil cooler temperature sensor wasn't connected. I looked in the RAVE, and it indicates that the mate for it comes off of the loom leading up to the electric fan (see image below), but my fan loom doesn't have an extra plug.

I've looked everywhere for a two wire male connector not connected to anything, and I can't find one. I don't have any trouble lights on the dash, and no codes (weird I think). I'm pretty OCD about my cars and would like to get this connected properly if possible.

Does anyone know where I can fins the male connector for this sensor?

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2020, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

gearbox oil temp sensor? Does RAVE mean the T-case sensor? which is located on the driver side of the T-case. See if you have one......It has two black Lucars connectors on it if you have one. If not, you have a blocking bolt in the hole.

You just may not have the sensor plug up front for the harness......

Old 05-10-2020, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling

XRAD: No, it's the transmission fluid cooler. According to the RAVE, there are two transmission temperature sensors; one on the transmission case, and one on the cooler (mini radiator) in the front of the truck. In this picture, the sensor is located where the red arrow is pointing. My unconnected female connector leads to this sensor.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

The transmission cooler sensor should have a wire coming off it. I think that's where the stray connector will go.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, the transmission cooler sensor does have a wire coming off of it, that is what I took a picture of. The problem is that I can't find the wire it is suppose to be connected to. In this drawing (forgive me, I know it sucks), I am trying to depict that I have a sensor that isn't plugged into anything, when it clearly should be. I can't find any other disconnected connectors in its vicinity. I even pulled off the plastic fan shroud (top side) and looked down and didn't see anything. I guess I won't solve this mystery unless someone can remove their grill and follow that wire from the cooler to the plug, and see what it is plugged into.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

You follow the aux fan cable back until it reaches the next bigger branch. My 03 has this rogue connector, and for the same reason as you, I wanted to know what it was supposed to be connected to. I hadn't thought about the trans cooler and I'll bet that's what I've been looking for. I had swapped in the trans cooler from the 04 since it was in better shape, and it didn't/doesn't have a sensor in the bottom. The 03 did have a sensor in its cooler and that's probably what was plugged into this. It joins the main branch right where the branch with the aux fan and the AC Hi/Low switch. It's further back near the frame rail, and it's the only connector on that branch until it hit the next juncture. My 04 does not have this branch because trans cooler sensor was eliminated for that year.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:52 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by TimInNova
Yes, the transmission cooler sensor does have a wire coming off of it, that is what I took a picture of. The problem is that I can't find the wire it is suppose to be connected to. In this drawing (forgive me, I know it sucks), I am trying to depict that I have a sensor that isn't plugged into anything, when it clearly should be. I can't find any other disconnected connectors in its vicinity. I even pulled off the plastic fan shroud (top side) and looked down and didn't see anything. I guess I won't solve this mystery unless someone can remove their grill and follow that wire from the cooler to the plug, and see what it is plugged into.
Ah, sorry. I thought you were the other way around -- you had found the loom wire but not the sensor wire.
I should read better.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Got it. I think i have same connector not plugged in as well....

apparently both the transfer case temp sensor and the transmission cooler temp sensor show on dash as same warning light.......

Last edited by XRAD; 05-11-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

I have an 03 parts truck and no temp sensor on the trans cooler but I have the same extra plug as pictured by ahab.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:50 AM
Rock Crawling

I've given up trying to find the harness connection. If it's been disconnected all this time and hasn't caused an issues, I should just leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: Connector for Transmission Cooler Sensor