Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an 03 Disco - Can I get member input on this one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an 03 Disco - Can I get member input on this one?

Hi all,

I'm a car enthusiast and always loved LR's but never got into them until relatively recently when I reached a point in life where I have some cash in the bank account and realized a 3rd vehicle would be nice. In addition, I realized 9+ year old LR's are "dirt cheap" (to buy, not to maintain).

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, as I also own an older M-series BMW as my daily driver.

Anyway, I've kept my focus on well maintained and lovingly owned land rovers and like the balance a 1999-2004 discovery offers. I also know I can unload it easily if I find it's not for me.

I realize the negatives of the 2003 model. I don't mind it lacking a CDL - I plan on doing mild off-roading in it with moderate trails being the "worst" i'd get into. It also has never had an oil pump issue and this is the owner's 3rd LR and he reports no issues with the oil pump nor does it fall in the VIN range.

I'd like input on the following:

2003 Discovery SE, 137k miles, 2 owners. Current owner has owned it since 2006 and 47k miles. Owner is a mechanic/engineer and has religiously maintained it. Regular 5k oil flushes, Three Amigo's fix via bypassing the SVS and going to an external board, replaced the driveshaft with a greasable model. Transmission had two LR dealer flushes at 50k and 100k.

No signs/history of off-roading. Owner is a DIYer so almost all maintenance has been done by him with some receipts and such, but mostly just written records.

Here's a walkaround video of the car:

Interior has modest wear - some headliner rippling/loosening, driver's seat is a bit beat-up, and exterior has one modest sized ding. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

I'm going to check this out on Friday. If everything looks good, I'd like to make an offer.

Can folks on here advise what they believe this truck is worth, and anything to look out for I haven't already mentioned?

I've tried to do my research on here but looking for a gut check

Thanks all,

Joe

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
4wd Low

Forgot to add: I'd aim to put ~5-7k miles a year on this and use it for occasional trips, hauling large loads, maybe a bit of trailering, fun off-road, and winter use.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks like a clean Disco, and with records and critical mechanical procedures undertaken by previous owner, I'd say you got yourself a good deal. I'd value this rig at around $6-7,000 without the CDL locker, slim roof rails etc. Just keep up with the maintenance as listed in mikes list, then you should be golden.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

03 certain VIN range has defective timing cover centering which ruins the oil pump.

03 - engine can get loose cylinder liners from over heated engine.

I would AVOID it.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All the D2 suffer from possible broken gears Just ask any indi shop that specializes in landrovers and both the 03/04 have been know to have liner issues. Very few 03 had alignment issues on the timing covers. It was one operator on one assembly line that only ran on certain days that miss drilled the holes for the timing cover dowels. The ones with misaligned covers blew up fast in the first few thousand miles and had their engines replaced under warranty. The cracked pump gears that we see now is very common on any year d2 and is a product of crappy quality control on tolerances.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I actually love it when I stand corrected as I learn more.
Thanks for the clarification!

I absolutely love the detail.

Well, that one worker was probably drinking a lot or had marriage problems..
Or was just new and untrained.
Or did not care.

Cost Rover a lot of money - that's for sure.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

It makes the same whine that mine does at start up. Nice to know that I'm not the only one.

Oh, and the Dexcool needs to go, asap.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Go for it Joe, I would offer 5k at that milage regardless of records. there are lots out there I got mine at just under 100K for 5500 almost 2 years ago. anyway, I say go for it if you like it. Where in Pa are you. Do you have a local indie mechanic that you can go have it gone over... would be worth the 100-150 to have them do pre inspection.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
03 certain VIN range has defective timing cover centering which ruins the oil pump.

03 - engine can get loose cylinder liners from over heated engine.

I would AVOID it.
I'm hesitant of any 03 Disco to, but he did mention that the Disco in question is NOT in the notorious vain range for the bad pump. I agree with the notion of paying $$$ for a complete pre-inspection just to seen what your getting into. Bring it to a shop and let us know what the mechanic says. Keep your fingered crossed and hope it is indeed worth it. Good luck to you man.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Drifting

I'd say go for it. 5Kish sounds about right for the mileage. I have an '03 that falls in the death VIN range. I've replaced the oil pump myself for peace of mind, but oil pressure is the same. I'm at 109K and running great.

I paid 6K for an '03 with ARB winch and ome lift about a year ago. It was really dirty, but had dealer records since new. My opinion, they all will require more work than a typical vehicle, but its nothing that can't be done pretty easily. Really easy trucks to work on, and pretty decent parts availablity if you can wait a day or two for the UPS guy. All maintainence items are usually local.

It is essentially the same scenario as your M series. Accesss to the internet and a little patience, and you'll have a great vehicle for not a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Considering an 03 Disco - Can I get member input on this one?