Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant boiling over thru reservoir after bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:53 AM
|
Mudding
Default Coolant boiling over thru reservoir after bleeding

Guys - 01 Disco with 120K, had heads / gaskets done 5K miles ago, running fine ever since. Last week I lost heat and coolant was boiling over from the plastic reservoir. We figured a stuck thermostat. My mechanic / friend replaced that, bled the system a few times, let it run in the driveway for 30 min and all was fine. Next time I drove it, it did the same thing about 5 miles down the road. Had it towed, he bled the system for about an hour, let it run in the driveway for 45 min with no issues. Within 2 miles of a test drive, it did the same thing. We're going to do a compression check, but figured I'd throw it out there to see if you all had any ideas. No white smoke, no coolant in the oil, etc....it seems like it could be something simple versus the worst case scenario? Thanks -

Old 04-09-2011 | 10:36 AM
Mudding

Any chance you have an obstruction or clogged radiator?

Old 04-09-2011 | 11:26 AM
Administrator

Either you didn't get it bled right, you have another failed head gasket or one of your two fans is not working.
You might want to send me your number and I'll call you walking you thru what to check.

Old 04-09-2011 | 11:59 AM
|
Mudding

I did think about the radiator, but wasn't sure...and don't really want to buy a new one if that's not the cause.

Disco Mike - thanks for the offer to call. My number is 540-379-8951 when you have time.

Thanks -
Steve

Old 04-09-2011 | 03:19 PM
Winching

This sounds suspiciously like why I'm replacing my motor at this very moment.

HG replaced, a few k miles later the block issues became apparent and/or were exacerbated from having to retorque the head bolts. I hope for your sake it is not.

Old 07-14-2011 | 08:53 AM
6th Gear
Default 99 4.6 RR HSE trouble with radiator bleed

I am getting a little confused with all I am reading on bleed methods. I thought I had mine done and then it held for a few mins then shot up again. Do I do it stone cold? It is warm right now. Do I disconnect at the nipple and raise the tube heading to the overfill? Should the stream come out of the nipple end or out of the hose end? One time coolant came out the nipple, the other time it came out of the hose that I had raised up a couple of inches higher than the tank and rad.

Thanks,
Pat

Old 07-14-2011 | 09:00 AM
Winching

Cold. Stone cold.

And don't disconnect anything. Loosen the bleed screw on the top hose (that run across the fan shroud in front). Lift the tank up high, completely attached. Fill until you get a solid stream of water and no air bubbles coming out of the bleeder screw. Tighten the bleeder screw, with coolant still flowing through it and the tank raised. Once it's closed, then lower the tank. Fill the tank to the cap and put the cap back on. Run up to temperature. Don't freak out when it burps the excess coolant out of the hose attached to the tank that goes to the ground.

If your coolant level then ends up at or near the fill line on the tank with no boiling, you are fine.

Old 07-14-2011 | 09:04 AM
6th Gear
Default bleeding coolant

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Problem is there is no bleed screw on this on, or I don't see one. Is it supposed to be on the hose???

Old 07-14-2011 | 09:11 AM
6th Gear

It also seems as though the tank on this sits several inches higher than the radiator. Do I still need to unbolt and raise up? I have probably confused everything as a rookie on this site I now see that I have posted to a Disco site and mine is a RR HSE

Old 07-14-2011 | 09:11 AM
Baja

could it be that it's a Range Rover "99 4.6 RR HSE trouble with radiator bleed" and not a Discovery?

Quick Reply: Coolant boiling over thru reservoir after bleeding