Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Drip

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:25 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Drip

Turns out the yellow liquid I was seeing drip down the front edge of my transmission bell housing is coolant and not oil. This would explain why I've had to top up the coolant a few times in the last few months.

I'm afraid it's the head but I don't see any oil level dropping at all and I'd expect to see that if it was the head. Also no sign of burning coolant. I can't see very well into that are either so it's difficult to tell where it might be coming from.

Any recommendations on where to look?

Old 10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Drip

Pressure test the coolant system and see. You have two possibilitys, a leaking valley pan gasket or the head gaskets. Your oil level doesn't have to drop when a head gasket is leaking. By the way, you mentioned yellow coolant, aren't you using DexCool?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
ajh
Winching

No, I use a PG based non-toxic coolant. Better properties than Dexcool in my case. I'll arrange a pressure test, thanks.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
ajh
Winching

Well, looks like a slow leak either in the intake or head gasket on the drivers side rear corner. I've setup an appointment to get both replaced next Thursday when I get back from the Whites and Boston.

Oh well, guess the coilover upgrade will have to wait until spring.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get both what replaced ??? If you decide to start with the intake manifold gasket, also ask to have the throttle body heater plate gasket changed.And if you decide to go with a head gasket job,they'll also do the intake manifold since it's part of that job.

Will this job be done under warranty ??? Just had my heads gaskets changed last week. Darn thing is still leaking oil, and I'm presently monitoring the coolant in case it leaks that too. Going to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
ajh
Winching

Ted thinks it's the intake gasket but changing the head gaskets at the same time is just another 4 hours of labour and if it means not having to go through this again in another 60K km then that's good. In a good year I can drive that far. The throttle body gasket is looking fine.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
ajh
Winching

Oh and it's out of warranty by 6 months, fun eh. At least new work is warrantied for a year.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, having made that mistake myself ( getting the intake manifold jobdone, to find out a few months later,that it was the head gasket), I say go ahead with the head gasket job and be done with it.

Just came back from my garage, and think that I can safely say that after monitoringthe coolant level for 5 days, it doesn't leak anymore.

Now, if only Ted can find why there is still oil finding its way at the bellhousing, and that annoying ticking sound that wasn't there before the HG job and the new rockers ??? hopefully, it's just an exhaust leak. But then again, it does it when warm, and not when cold......

Later,

Steph.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good time to change plug wires if they are old.

Willie

Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 AM
ajh
Winching

Ironically I changed the plug wires about 4 weeks ago. Next time those get done it'll be to relocate the coils to somewhere sane. The intake gasket going at 65,000km seems horribly premature though, very annoying.

Quick Reply: Coolant Drip