Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Flush

I'm attempting my first real maintenance (without dealers help)on my 02 disco with 53k besides an oil change. I'm starting to complete my 60k service. Just a few questions about the coolant replacmnt/flush procedures ( i did a search and couldnt find the answers). I have the rave cd and am planning on printing out the appropriate pages.

1. Is coolant the same as antifreeze?
2. What tools will I need? I know i need a container for when i drain the old coolant?
3. Should I use the recommended antifreeze from rave or something else?
4. would it be better to use a ramp or is this something i can do in my driveway w no ramp?
5. How exactly do I flush with water at low pressure as stated in rave.
6. Im going shopping for my coolant flush tomorrow, what should i get?

Thanks everyone. this board is very helpful. anyother tips would be appreciated. thanks again

Old 11-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Coolant Flush

ORIGINAL: tdiddy

I'm attempting my first real maintenance (without dealers help)on my 02 disco with 53k besides an oil change. I'm starting to complete my 60k service. Just a few questions about the coolant replacmnt/flush procedures ( i did a search and couldnt find the answers). I have the rave cd and am planning on printing out the appropriate pages.

1. Is coolant the same as antifreeze?
2. What tools will I need? I know i need a container for when i drain the old coolant?
3. Should I use the recommended antifreeze from rave or something else?
4. would it be better to use a ramp or is this something i can do in my driveway w no ramp?
5. How exactly do I flush with water at low pressure as stated in rave.
6. Im going shopping for my coolant flush tomorrow, what should i get?

Thanks everyone. this board is very helpful. anyother tips would be appreciated. thanks again
1. Yes, coolant/antifreeze changes the boiling/freezing point of water. Run a 50/50 premix of Dexcool. Coolant usually refers to the water/antifreeze mix. Antifreeze usually means just the glycol liquid added to water to make coolant (you can use water only, but rust and other problems come up).

2. No special tools needed. If you plan to pull the block drain plugs you will need a ratchet and extension to reach them. For the hose clamps any vice grip will do.

3. Use 50/50 premixed Dexcool coolant. What is in your Rover right now is Dexcool. Do not mix anything else with Dexcool! You can drain all of the coolant, flush the system with water and use another type of coolant (Yellow Prestone for example). As long as you change Dexcool regularly (every 2 years) it should not be a problem.

4. A lift is the best way to go. Ramps or jackstands will make things easier for you but there is not set way to do it.

5. I don't have Rave so someone else will need to answer this.

6. Premixed 50/50 Dexcool coolant.

Also,

Change your spark plugs and wires. Only get 8mm Magnecor wires. As for plugs, Champion 7318's or Bosch Platinums work well for most people. Don't forget to change all your fluids, including diffs, transfer case, transmission, and power steering (often neglected).

Cheers,

Pete

Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the help Pete. One more question. Where can I buy Dexcool? Is that the actual brand name of the antifreeze or a generic name for a certain type ? thanks again

Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont worry about the drain plugs on the block, remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator, it is easiest done from the top with the truck level.
Remove the "T" piece from the top of the cooling system, the thing right on top right in front of you.
Let it drain, you will need to use a oil drain pan to catch the coolant.
Take your garden hose and stick it into the upper hoses, just turn it on low. Stick it into every coolant opening you can find. Fill the overflow resevoir with water.
put everything back together, fill it with water, idle the truck for 10 min with the heater on, remove the lower hose again and redrain. Once it is done draining stand on the bumper and rock the truck a couple of times.
Refill with Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 premixed coolant, you will need two gallons. Buy three and keep one in the garage.
To refill first fill the overflow resevoir, then remove the bleed screw on the top of the "T" piece and pour coolant into that little hole until coolant starts to come out.
Start the truck making sure that the heater is on with the HVAC fan on low, keep the overflow resevoir full at all times.
Once a good solid stream of coolant comes out of the bleed screw replace it making sure NOT to overtighten.
Keep checking the temp gauge and make sure that you have heat.
Making sure that the overflow resevoir is full, once steam starts to come out of the overflow resevoir then replace the cap.
Turn the engine off.
For the next two days before you drive the truck after it has sat overnight check the coolant level topping off if necassary.
It sound hard but its not.
Once it is all full and cold you can rinse the engine off with the garden hose to get all of the coolant that leaked/spilled off of the engine.
If you need any clarification just shout.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why the 50/50 premixed instead of just buying pure coolant and mixing yourself?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

1-They use distilled water so that there are no minerals to cause trouble in the cooling system, your tap water has calcium, lime, iron, flouride, chlorine...if you have well water...forget it!
2-you will get the proper mix, mix it yourselfwith too much water and you will get a higher freezing point and lower boiling point.
50/50 premixed is always at least a -30F freezing point, it varies from manufacture to manufacture, -30 to -38 is the norm for pre-mixed coolant.
It will say on the back of the jug.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Ok so I just finished my coolant flush, but not without a hiccup or 2. I was unable to find the drain plugs but I wasnt that concerned as spike mentioned just to ignore them. I did drain the lower radiator hose (skinny hose attached the radiator) and I drained the bleed screw hole. I wasnt able to disconnect the "t" part because I didnt know how to the manuever the clamps at the ends( i know pretty weak right?). I did run plenty of water into the overflow reservoir and raised it up so the the existing coolant (orangy stuff) and water flushed out of the bleed screw hole and the lower radiator tube. I then filled up with water and ran the truck with fan on low for 10 mins. After that I drained the water/dexcool and ran water thru reservoir and raised it again for another water flush , I flushed til the fluid coming out of the bleed hole and hose was clear. I thin filled up the entire overflow reservoir w peak 50/50 but it only took maybe 1.25 gallons. It was coming out of the bleed screw hole pretty good so installed the screw. I kept filling the reservoir and it started to steam so i put the cap on. The temp gauge was reading right in the middle of hot and cold . I feel like I got most of the existing dexcool out but the color of the fluid in the overflow reservoir still has a pink hue. I'm feeling pretty damn proud of myself but let me know if you think i did a suffecient job. thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Well you should be proud of yourself, feels good doesnt it?
Next time remove the lower radiator hose, it is the big hose attached to the bottom of the radiator. It has the same clamps that the "T" piece has, and to loosen those is a PIA, take a pair of channel locks and squeeze the clamp together, it will loosen and then you can move it around, you will have to continue to squeeze them inorder to move them.
You can replace them with worm type clamps that you can buy anywhere and then you can just use a flathead screwdriver to tighten/loosen them.
You did good, if you want you can drain it again by removing that lower hose, but I think that you are fine.
Change it again in the spring, it will go faster and then you will have 100% brand new coolant.