Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak in '03. Ignore it until I replace the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, so don't start it up, have it towed to a shop. Make sure to get an estimate for a head gasket replacement before taking the truck over, some where in the $1450 to $1600 range.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got around to looking about the intake when I remembered....

18 months ago, when I swapped plug wires, there was a bolt missing at the very back on the intake manifold. I suspect that the IM had been removed at some point and the PO never worried about putting a lost bolt back in.

Not thinking too much of it, I went to the hardware store and picked up another metric bolt to drop in its place.

I checked that very bolt and it has bottomed out 1/2" above being fully seated. I must have not bothered looking and stopped when it got tight.

Anyway, could this be the source of my coolant leak at the back of my engine (pax side, wet starter)?

If so, where can I find a replacement? Is it any different than the other intake bolts?

Edit: Just checking over the Rave manual. It looks like it doesn't have anything to do with coolant. It appears from the diagram that the 6 bolts only secure the upper manifold to the lower and no coolant flows between the two. So much for geting off easy

Last edited by meltdowndave; 12-07-2009 at 04:53 PM.