Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)

So the past 2 days there has been a damp spot on the driveway, initially thought it was the T-case rear seal because it weeps and has started to get worse. BUT nope it turns out that coolant is leaking down the exhaust from the engine. Looks like it is from around the valve cover (passenger side) and running down the rear of the head to the #2 cylinder area pooling and then dripping onto the exhaust.

I have recently done the water pump, but no leaks that I can see there, wondering if this could have caused any issue. I did the procedure in accordance with Rave manual, and temps at warm up after were 204 - 206 then when the t-stat (upgraded to 180) opened, engine cooled to 188 - 194. This is normal running temp for me… so I thought no issue.

HG have been done 15k - 20k and no issue until now. Don’t know if it is possible that they blew again (hope not) I am going to dig into it this weekend (hopefully) and find out where. There are pictures of where the coolant appears to be... but as you can see it is dry with indications of the coolant. it is moist all over the area, so maybe something has loosened up??

Really need everybody’s input on potential areas and where to start… have a look at the pictures, the top of the valve cover is moist, not oil (i don’t think) and there seems to be coolant in behind the valve cover… maybe valley gasket loose? or ??

Thanks for your help / guidance… cheers!!

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)-img_0001.jpg   Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)-img_0002.jpg   Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)-img_0003.jpg   Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)-img_0004.jpg  
Old 11-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Rent borrow a preesure test and bring it up to 18 psi and look around. It could be the timing cover gasket i have seen them spray up under the alt.& ac compressor.

Originally Posted by clint70
So the past 2 days there has been a damp spot on the driveway, initially thought it was the T-case rear seal because it weeps and has started to get worse. BUT nope it turns out that coolant is leaking down the exhaust from the engine. Looks like it is from around the valve cover (passenger side) and running down the rear of the head to the #2 cylinder area pooling and then dripping onto the exhaust.

I have recently done the water pump, but no leaks that I can see there, wondering if this could have caused any issue. I did the procedure in accordance with Rave manual, and temps at warm up after were 204 - 206 then when the t-stat (upgraded to 180) opened, engine cooled to 188 - 194. This is normal running temp for me… so I thought no issue.

HG have been done 15k - 20k and no issue until now. Don’t know if it is possible that they blew again (hope not) I am going to dig into it this weekend (hopefully) and find out where. There are pictures of where the coolant appears to be... but as you can see it is dry with indications of the coolant. it is moist all over the area, so maybe something has loosened up??

Really need everybody’s input on potential areas and where to start… have a look at the pictures, the top of the valve cover is moist, not oil (i don’t think) and there seems to be coolant in behind the valve cover… maybe valley gasket loose? or ??

Thanks for your help / guidance… cheers!!

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling

So the timing cover gasket an big job? Just thinking ahead here... hoping not the heads

Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Baja

Picture what it looked like when the water pump was off.
Now go back to that spot and remove the cover that you bolted the water pump on too, but in order to get that cover off you have to drop the oil pan.
So if you have to remove the timing cover sounds like a good time to replace the timing set and the oil pump is in the timing cover so what the hell you might as well get that too, its only 3 screws,

Suddenly, head gaskets doesnt sound that bad.

You really have to pressure test these pigs.

Originally Posted by clint70
So the timqing cover gasket an big job? Just thinking ahead here... hoping not the heads

Old 11-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the bottom of the heater hose(s) wet where either connect to the coil nipples?

Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
Picture what it looked like when the water pump was off.
Now go back to that spot and remove the cover that you bolted the water pump on too, but in order to get that cover off you have to drop the oil pan.
So if you have to remove the timing cover sounds like a good time to replace the timing set and the oil pump is in the timing cover so what the hell you might as well get that too, its only 3 screws,

Suddenly, head gaskets doesnt sound that bad.

You really have to pressure test these pigs.
Wow... too bad I already did those (timing set, oil pump) when I did the head gaskets ~15k miles ago. I'll pressure test this weekend, do you think Advanced Auto or one of those places will have one that I can rent?

Cheers!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I would also check the heater hoses, and where the heater pipe goes into the intake manifold.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I would also check the heater hoses, and where the heater pipe goes into the intake manifold.
LOL!! so guess what.... I have a repaired heater hose that is/was leaking and looks like it was doing that fore a long time. I am going to get a new one... those plastic hard hoses are so fragile, but don't know if there is another choice. Right now I'll double up the hose clamps and should be good for now.

Feels good to know that there is not something more... I have the pressure tester on the system right now, seems to be holding steady (for the moment). I let it sit for an hour and come back. Thanks for the good advice

Cheers!!

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)-img_0002.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Baja

if you can hold 18 psi for an hour your fine

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you can hold 18 psi for an hour your fine
Turns out I have a couple leaks.... heater inlet hose (at the metal sleeve) and the heater return from the throttle body heater. Only lost 2 psi over the hour from those 2 places.... gotta do a u pull & pay this weekend.

Thank you for the help.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak? (another thread... sorry)