Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Disco2

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Disco2

I have had a coolant leak on our Disco 2 (2000). Lately it has been getting worse. It seems to be coming from the back of the engine but I haven't investigated too closely due to temperature here in Canada.I understand there is a common coolant leak at the inlet manifold? I am trying to get an appointment at the delaer (looks like it won't get in until next week). Couldsomeone elaborate on possible cause and if a reasonable home mechanic could effect the repair?

much appreciated, Mike Hopton

Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coolant Leak Disco2

The most common coolant leak source on the intake we see on the Disco II is from what is called the throttle body heater plate --gasket. There is a kit to correct this. It is located on the underside of the throttle body with two rubber hoses connected to it. Typically , the coolant will drip onto the valve cover on that side ---and run down the back of the engine.

regards,

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just had the job done last week by Ottawa Land Rover on my 2000 DII. It's apparently very common. The service manager explained that reason for this happening is that they did not use lock tight on the bolts at the factory, and also the bolts used would stretch due to the heat. So you could do the job yourself, but the dealer who changed all the surrounding gaskets, new bolts with lock tight etc... Did the job for $900.00.and you get a 1 year warranty on the job, parts and labor.

The gaskets, bolts and coolant will run you around $450.00 to $500.00.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Darover,

What currency are you expressing units in?........Jeez!....the kit costs $25 USD....and ittakes even the slowest mechanic in the world no more than 45 minutes to change it out.

Somebody really got slammed by the 'Stealership'.

Geoman

www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm talking Canadian Dollars[8D]I'm not talking gasket only..... I meant about 4 to 5 different gaskets, new bolts, locktightand coolant and a heating plate.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I too have just experienced minor weapage of coolant. I only noticed it after topping off the coolant when I noticed it was low. It is not coming from the overflow tube. It appears to be dripping just behind the bumper on the passenger side. Any thoughts on the problem?

Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Rock Crawling

bookerbr

Model and year? Have a pressure test performed and look at the side tanks on the radiator. Coolant leaks from the front of the vehicle on a Land Rover are frequently traced to a radiator at the end of its service life ---and they start seeping. I would recommend you get this handled now, as Spring and Summer temps will just aggravate the situation and could lead to the dreaded overheating that is the death sentence for a Rover V-8.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the quick response. It is a 2000 Disco. How much will all this cost?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling

The list price for a radiator is $550.00 ---add about $200 for labor. If the mileage is 75K or more, then also budget for a water pump replacement, which adds on another $400 parts and labor. Expensive.......but......a head gasket job is approx. $1800, and if it is overheated badly---- a engine changeout can cost $8K or more.

Sorry..........Just the harsh reality of the cost of Land Rover upkeep and the financial risks associatedwith putting it off until tomorrow.

Geoman

Old 02-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for your help. Is this something that can be done by any garage?

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Disco2