Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant level drop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default coolant level drop?

I was checking the fluid levels in the '03 about a week ago and noticed the coolant level was about 1/8" lower then two weeks prior. I checked it again this morning and it was unchanged from a week ago. On feb.16 I topped off the reservoir after getting it back from having headgaskets done and filled it up to just above the seam between the top and bottom of reservoir, which is slightly overfilled. So, a week ago when I checked it it was just level with the seam, about an 1/8 drop. Its somewhat close each time with the outside temps, and the vehicle has sat all night when I check the level. Am I just being paranoid and looking for stuff or could the head gasket job be failing.? Or do I need paranoid anonymous? "Hello my name is jon and I drive a landrover"

Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jon..first look for places it could be leaking, hoses, throttle body heater, around the heads and lower intake but first I would do a coolant system bleed to just make sure you have all the air out of the system. After a flush and bleed sometimes a little air hangs around in the system and works it's way out over a couple of weeks. If no air, no visable leaks I would return to who did it and have them pressure test or check your coolant for hydodarbons with a test kit. Do the obvious first. Look and check system for air.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I was wondering about air in the system, since the headgaskets where just done. The headgaskets where done by a small shop/carlot that just sells landrovers. The tech who did the job worked as a landrover tech for 10 years and did training for the new techs at one of the large landrover dealers in the area, so I am confident he could do the job well. Where can you get the hydrocarbon test at?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Autozone has them as most auto parts stores do. Easy to do.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

How accurate are these test?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling

It's a go-no go test. The test strip will change color if you have hydrocarbons present. Also you can have someone cold start your truck while you have your nose next to the exhaust and see if you smeel the sweet smell of antifreeze. Not very scientific though. Correct way is a pressure test 15 pounds for 15 to 30 minutes or the test kit. Any milky oil on your stick or under the oil fill cap? But keep in mind a coolant leak does not have to be internal, it can be external at the heads or even the lower intake manifold also and not leaking into the combustion side of the motor. That why close inspection of the outside is very important. Get a cheap inspection mirror.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

When looking for a powersteering gear box leak I could smell a faint coolant smell near top driverside of radiator. Oil looks fine. Im wondering if maybe it was air. I guess I could give it a couple more weeks, since the level hasnt changed any in the last week or so. But, I will give the hydro carbon test a try.

Last edited by 94svt50; 03-09-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CHECK THE CLAMPS ON YOUR COOLANT SYSTEM. Over the past couple months I've had 3 separate slow leaks because of failing stock clamps. There's a couple underneath the reservoir that like to drip.

Also, go ahead and fill your coolant reservoir to the brim, per DiscoMike.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks, where exactly is the brim? doesnt it need room to expand whe hot. If I turn mine on for a minute and turn it back off, its right back to the original mark I filled it to.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Rock Crawling

At the top driverside you have a small line coming off your radiator and returing under the cover over to the coolant tank. These get brittle and break, and also as said have a factory clamp on them. Worth pulling the fan cover and having a look see. I replace that plastic line with regular radiator hose on both my Disco's as they are prone to break. But since you have not had a coolant lose for awhile just top it off up to near the filler opening (but leave some space) and you can go from there. When I was having a leak issue I took a red grease pencil and marked my coolant level on the outside so I could see where it was. Mark at cold level, and check at cold level. Good luck.

Quick Reply: coolant level drop?