Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant mixing with engine oil repair shop says i need a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question coolant mixing with engine oil repair shop says i need a new engine

coolant mixing with engine oil repair shop says i need a new engine. i feel like i am being taken for a costly ride here your thoughts on what i should do. at first my disco was overheating, i realised i changed the coolant but didnt bleed the system i bled the system it stopped overheating for like 2 days then it overheated again so i bled the system again it stopped over heating again but i still drove it to the repair shop anyway to be on the safe side. the next day the repair shop shows me the creamy mix of the engine oil and coolant and tells me i need a new cylinder head gasket or a new engine but they seem to be definately leaning towards a new engine. what should I do?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are telling you that you need 1 or the other, then I would find a new shop that knows Rovers ASAP. Head gaskets going is pretty standard for these Rovers, but they shouldn't be guessing if your block is cooked or not. I'm sure others who know much more than me will tell you the same...good luck.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

head gasket job = $1200

new engine = $7000@

id get a second opinion

Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
6th Gear

thanks for the suggestions i will ge a second opinion as soon as they tell me exactly what the problem is. they have not actually went in the engine as yet the possible repairs are based on them seeing the coolant mixing with engine oil

Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
6th Gear

quick question is there a way to identify the engine in your disco. for example is the vin number on the engine?? just in case these guys are trying to swap out my engine or something

Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don, PM me your number and I'll call you.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seniordon
quick question is there a way to identify the engine in your disco. for example is the vin number on the engine?? just in case these guys are trying to swap out my engine or something
There's a serial number on the left side of the block but, you need to remove the exhaust manifold to see it. Coolant in the oil could also be from the front cover gasket, not an uncommon problem. Either way, there's no reason for anyone to guess, a pressure test with the pan removed should point out where the problem is. Find a more reputable shop.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You could put some kind of identifying mark on the block or something. Maybe with a punch or file? Just a thought but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
6th Gear

ok guys i just went to the shop and picked up up my truck i live about 5 miles away from the shop. i got to my driveway just as the needle was about to leave the safe zone on the temp guage. they wanted me to get a used engine that costs $2000 wit around 58,000 miles on it they said. they said they fix this head gasket problem all the time and they find that its better to get a new engine all together because in the past they have changed head gaskets and the overheating problem has returned and they vehicle owner ended up gettting a new engine anyway so might as well i get a new engine off the top. sounded fishy so i just took my truck and left.....

p.s. thanks for all the help Mike

Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good call!

Quick Reply: coolant mixing with engine oil repair shop says i need a new engine