Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant overflow bottle cracked

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Coolant overflow bottle cracked

Took the disco for a little off road jaunt, got to the car wash and looked everything over to discover that the overflow bottle is leaking from the bottom.

Is this a common occurrence or do I need to suspect excess pressure/heat? I had noticed a coolant smell and some coolant on the framerail the other day after hauling a trailer but racked it up to overfilling the coolant bottle (which I did) and spewing out the overflow tube.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Took the disco for a little off road jaunt, got to the car wash and looked everything over to discover that the overflow bottle is leaking from the bottom.

Is this a common occurrence or do I need to suspect excess pressure/heat? I had noticed a coolant smell and some coolant on the framerail the other day after hauling a trailer but racked it up to overfilling the coolant bottle (which I did) and spewing out the overflow tube.
The Disco II expansion tank has a pressure breather tube near the rear end. It is a small black tube that terminates in a slant cut end. I'm pretty sure this was to solve cracking/bursting from overfilling the expansion tank (a common issue in Disco I). I would say it probably cracked due to being old and offroading? Are you able to monitor your engine temperatures? If it is running hot you may have air in the system. If you are extremely worried about it you could get a pressure test performed.

Update us on what you find.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

It's fairly common for the nipple to which the throttle body line attaches to fail. Here's what I did when that happened to me a couple years ago.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-repair-67091/

I'm confident the field repair could have been a permanent solution although I eventually installed a replacement a couple months later that I bought on eBay.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Common for the plastic reservoir to develop leaks due to age deterioration. Found mine was leaking at seem after a thorough cleaning/inspection. Sometimes it's just a hose leaking at nipple and no cost fix.

New reservoirs are inexpensive and would recommend all D2 owners install a new one every ten years or so just as we should replace hoses as a PM item.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

The reservoir I bought on eBay was aftermarket and ~$35, shipping included. It seems every bit the equivalent of OE that costs twice as much.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys, I'll inspect it and see if it's just a hose. I dont suspect overheating as I literally just changed the thermostat to a white motorad and switched to green coolant witch dropped my Temps nearly 20 degrees, though I havnt had access to a scanner in several weeks and something could have very well happened since then. But I doubt it

Old 07-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just replaced mine for the same fault, I think it's just an age thing.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll inspect it and see if it's just a hose.
Originally Posted by Mskembo
Just replaced mine for the same fault, I think it's just an age thing.
Keep in mind it should be replaced regardless of what you find. Getting off $35 and spending <30 minutes now may save you time/expense of changing HGs or engine down the road.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Keep in mind it should be replaced regardless of what you find. Getting off $35 and spending <30 minutes now may save you time/expense of changing HGs or engine down the road.
Totally agree, although mine was a little more than double that price. Genuine Land Rover $80, not horrible as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It was indeed the return nipple for the throttle body line that was leaking. I plugged the line and the hole in the tank until my new one gets here. Can't say I'm not a little disappointed in British plastic lol, my 1994 ford has similar miles and 10 years on my disco and it is only just recently beginning to show stress signs on the interior plastics. And my overflow bottle is pristine lol.

Quick Reply: Coolant overflow bottle cracked