Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant question is dex cool same as..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 07:16 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
No. No. No.

You don't need pressure.
Remove the lower radiator hose and drain out all the coolant you can. It'll be messy; use the largest catch pan you have.

Reattach the hose and fill the system using distilled water only. Bleed the system according to the instructions in the RAVE. Drive the truck a few miles to circulate and mix what's in the cooling system. Let it cool down and repeat the process. After the second or more likely third flush-and-fill the system will be nearly 100% distilled water and there will be no visible color from the old coolant.

Drain the system one more time, getting out as much water as you can. Reattach the lower radiator hose and fill the system with Prestone (or any green) Concentrate. You'll end up with a 50/50 mix or close to it, which is the target.

One note -- every time I flush and fill the cooling system in my truck and take it out for a drive the coolant temp goes up to 215°F or so, then comes back down to normal levels. Don't panic if this happens with your truck.
ya that’s one way to do it. Garden hose is much faster and effective I think

I would just put in the green prestone stuff. Can’t go wrong

Old 06-22-2021, 07:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat

i think the concern with using the hose is the mineral content of the water that will be left in your system. probably not a big deal if you flush every two years or less, but it could cause build up over time and would not be good for your cooling system long term.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:24 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat

well the issue is without the garden hose or some sort of pressure I’m worried I won’t be able to get all of the coolant out in the flesh so not sure if it will be safe to mix it with the yellow prestone. That’s why I was hoping to find something similar and compatible

Old 06-22-2021, 07:51 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshawa_D2
well the issue is without the garden hose or some sort of pressure I’m worried I won’t be able to get all of the coolant out in the flesh so not sure if it will be safe to mix it with the yellow prestone. That’s why I was hoping to find something similar and compatible

if you drain it all and refill it with water drive it come back drain it again and refill it and drive it again then drain again do your repairs then fill with your choice I’m sure your fine

Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 PM
Mudding

I actually found a coolant that has the exact same description as mine the only difference is it’s orange in colour and mine is pink in colour but both of them have the exact same description word for word I will paste below

”This long service life product is based on a proprietary organic acid technology (OAT). This ethylene glycol based product is free of silicates, phosphates, borates, nitrates, nitrites and amines.“

any thoughts on this?

Old 06-22-2021, 02:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@Oshawa_D2 No you can not mix the Orange (dexacool) with anything else it often reacts poorly, just flush it and start fresh - 3 flush cycles will do. Any aluminum safe coolant is fine.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Don't over complicate things. Discos do not have space age materials in the cooling system or anything special. Personally, I use the factory recommended orange coolant - from Land Rover - and I change it every 2 years or so. N

1) if you are changing types of coolant you should get all the old coolant out -- and the distilled water couple flushes will do that.
2) Go buy ANY good coolant that meets the spec. 50/50 mix with DISTILLED water. But what I don't believe - at all - is the label on every cheap parts store coolant that says "compatible with all other coolants"... that's bs. If you combine dec-cool w/ green you get a nasty mix over time.
3) Change it every couple years.

BTW everyone says the green stuff is great. It's not. It corrodes and pits aluminum if you leave it in too long also. So pick your battles. On my end I've seen too many engines corrode from the green stuff internally so I'd rather use the factory orange and change it frequently to avoid the slushy problem.

Side note - someone before me had blocked off my throttle body heater. They removed the line and put a screw in it. There is a return line from it back to the coolant bottle and thus that line was a dead end passage with zero circulation for at least a few years on my D2. Look what happened. These are pics from last month. I had to use ~40-50psi compressed air to blow it out of the hard plastic line. Point being this is a real issue with old Dexcool.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Oshawa_D2 No you can not mix the Orange (dexacool) with anything else it often reacts poorly, just flush it and start fresh - 3 flush cycles will do. Any aluminum safe coolant is fine.
But this is not dexcool brand, It is an orange coolant from the Canadian tire store. However I thought the colour is not important as it is just a dye , what’s more important are the technologies and additives which according to my inspection are identical between the two. This is what I’m thinking and where my train of thought is at

for example I’m looking on a Volkswagen message board and many people have posted successfully using G12 coolant and dexcool. Because again the additives are identical. Even though one is pink and the other one is orange Also let’s not forget our motor is a GM Buick motor.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Don't over complicate things. Discos do not have space age materials in the cooling system or anything special. Personally, I use the factory recommended orange coolant - from Land Rover - and I change it every 2 years or so. N

1) if you are changing types of coolant you should get all the old coolant out -- and the distilled water couple flushes will do that.
2) Go buy ANY good coolant that meets the spec. 50/50 mix with DISTILLED water. But what I don't believe - at all - is the label on every cheap parts store coolant that says "compatible with all other coolants"... that's bs. If you combine dec-cool w/ green you get a nasty mix over time.
3) Change it every couple years.

BTW everyone says the green stuff is great. It's not. It corrodes and pits aluminum if you leave it in too long also. So pick your battles. On my end I've seen too many engines corrode from the green stuff internally so I'd rather use the factory orange and change it frequently to avoid the slushy problem.

Side note - someone before me had blocked off my throttle body heater. They removed the line and put a screw in it. There is a return line from it back to the coolant bottle and thus that line was a dead end passage with zero circulation for at least a few years on my D2. Look what happened. These are pics from last month. I had to use ~40-50psi compressed air to blow it out of the hard plastic line. Point being this is a real issue with old Dexcool.

at this point I am not looking to flush because the vehicle was flushed less than two years ago and less than 6000 miles ago I’m basically looking for something that is compatible with my pink coolent that’s in there right now which is very hard to find and from all my research the only ones I find that are compatible are the orange coolant

so the real question is, is everything that’s orange dexcool.
and if so is it not interchangeable with any other coolant color.
because it seems to me orange coolants areproprietary organic acid technology (OAT). This ethylene glycol based product is free of silicates, phosphates, borates, nitrates, nitrites and amines.” Which is what it says word for word on my pink coolant

Old 06-22-2021, 03:02 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

You don't know what's in Dexcool (other than ethylene glycol).
You don't know what's in this other coolant (other than ethylene glycol).

Manufacturers' mixtures are proprietary, and often secret. Meaning that they may be incompatible.
It doesn't matter that the blurb is identical -- the formulations may not be (outside of those things that they both claim to be free from).

Quick Reply: Coolant question is dex cool same as..