Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant System Pressure Test Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts
Default Coolant System Pressure Test Kits

Looks like I may need to get a loaner pressure testing kit from one of the auto parts chains. I recall reading here in past years that some have the correct adapter for the DII and some do not. Does anyone have experience with them to know which kit from which chain works on our trucks? I have the usual chains here - Advance Auto, AutoZone, O'Reilly's and NAPA. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I’ve used Autozone’s to good affect.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I’ve used Autozone’s to good affect.
+1
why buy when you can rent it!

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

I rented a powerbuilt coolant pressure tester from Autozone. Low and behold the BMW #5 cap fits perfectly.

Last edited by Sandman614; 07-05-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Well, that was easy. Like Sandman614 said, it's the #5 adapter marked for BMW that fits. I knew the leak was from around the coolant reservoir based on where I saw coolant on the ground. I removed the tank yesterday and inspected it but couldn't see where it might be leaking plus the hoses looked good. I'd expected to find the nipple for the hose that goes to the throttle body heater had cracked like last time but that wasn't the case. Instead I found a very small crack in an area that has no stress spraying a fine fan-like stream of coolant when I pressurized the system. You can barely see the crack within the oval in the pic. At least it's an easy fix.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mln01
Well, that was easy. Like Sandman614 said, it's the #5 adapter marked for BMW that fits. I knew the leak was from around the coolant reservoir based on where I saw coolant on the ground. I removed the tank yesterday and inspected it but couldn't see where it might be leaking plus the hoses looked good. I'd expected to find the nipple for the hose that goes to the throttle body heater had cracked like last time but that wasn't the case. Instead I found a very small crack in an area that has no stress spraying a fine fan-like stream of coolant when I pressurized the system. You can barely see the crack within the oval in the pic. At least it's an easy fix.

This happened to my Britpart tank, so I upgraded to an allisport, unfortunately couldn’t wait for ABran’s unit with sightglass. Should have kept my original one, it was fine, learning not to throw anything away.....

Old 07-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Camel Trophy

The truck has continued to lose coolant, although at a slow rate, so I used the pressure tester again yesterday. I pumped it up to 20 psi this time, and after an hour the reading was 17 psi but I couldn't find any leak. After an hour should it have held at 20 psi, or is leaking down to 17 psi stlll "normal"? I can't figure out where the coolant is going, and no, I don't have any reason to think it's a cracked block leaking internally (no evidence of water in the oil). Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mln01
The truck has continued to lose coolant, although at a slow rate, so I used the pressure tester again yesterday. I pumped it up to 20 psi this time, and after an hour the reading was 17 psi but I couldn't find any leak. After an hour should it have held at 20 psi, or is leaking down to 17 psi stlll "normal"? I can't figure out where the coolant is going, and no, I don't have any reason to think it's a cracked block leaking internally (no evidence of water in the oil). Any thoughts? Thanks.
It should hold. I had a cracked Britpart Elbow pipe that would only leak when hot, not saying that is it, but that could be a factor. Maybe keep a flashlight in the door, and when warm look for seeping. It will evaporate right off, and easy to miss.

Maybe move to compression test to make sure it is not the head gasket, but that is not the most likely culprit IMO. Could just be a loose hoseclamp, etc.

Do you have any codes or overheating?

Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Camel Trophy

No codes and temps are great so long as there's coolant in the reservoir (188.6° when rolling, sometimes dropping a little lower, and 194° to 198° or so at stoplights, sometimes climbing a little higher).

Last edited by mln01; 07-29-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much do you lose? I’d leave the gauge hooked up all day, it seems like you will find your leak eventually. Also see how much your pressure drops after a few hours. It’s probably just a hose clamp. The gauge may also leak some air at the connection to the testing cap too, so make sure it sits straight and snug on the cap

Quick Reply: Coolant System Pressure Test Kits