Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant temp going into the red on idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 06:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@neuropathy moisture on the valve cover sounds like you have a leaky hose or connection you need to get that sorted out 1.5 to 2 quarts is a lot. I worry at a cup.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

The electric fan will kick on at 210 if I'm not mistaken based off the temp sensor in the intake manifold. I had a huge problem with temp stuff at idle after doing a HG job, click the link in my sig to read about it fi you want. My problem was the temp sensor being bunk and throwing everything off

Pics of moisture around the valve gaskets?

Also, 1-2 qts of coolant is a crap ton, sure you don't have a puddle under yer truck?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with this issue for a while and I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem there's anywhere obvious that coolant is dumping out from the engine bay onto the ground beneath it, but I can see a steady drip at the exhaust pipe. Can anyone tell me a bit about this? I understand it might have to do with the common slipped sleeve issue? I've got a video to help demonstrate this, which was taken while the vehicle was warming up:

As you can see in the video, the gravel driveway makes it difficult to see if the vehicle is dripping coolant all night, but it doesn't appear to be. I've ran the vehicle and looked underneath to try to see what's happening and couldn't see it leaking anywhere. I'm not 100% sure it isn't leaking slowly from somewhere up top, though.

I've bought a new expansion tank cap (OEM part) and I'm not sure if it's helping at all, but it seems like the coolant keeps disappearing. I've been checking regularly and filling it up at the expansion tank while the bleed valve is open. I haven't been able to get it to start overflowing from the bleed hole. I tried filling from the bleed screw hole, as well, and could fill it up until it began overflowing from there. I'm really not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Last edited by neuropathy; 03-31-2020 at 04:46 AM. Reason: video
Old 03-31-2020, 07:22 AM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you end up getting an ultraguage or scangauge? Or were you able to monitor with an appropriate obd tool? That's a critical factor here, as you've probably figured out by now the dash temp gauge is absolutely useless until it's way too hot. My nanocom saved my bacon when I left my expansion tank cap loose, the nanocom was reading 215 and rising so I pulled over and shut down, temp gauge was still reading dead center! If you are seeing moisture out the pipe when cold, this isn't immediately concerning, as it's a normal combustion by-product. A steady flow that doesn't stop can be a problem tho. If you still can't find where your coolant is going, it may be time to pull spark plugs. If the plug comes out clean, find a cheap borescope and stick it in the plug holes. If you see a steam cleaned-looking piston (no combustion residue), you can bet on a head gasket job. There's also a sneaky failure point on the timing cover where the gasket is thin, but that's hard to see without taking off your front engine accessory components.

Rhys L.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

head gasket leak.....

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

You also may want to borrow an pressure tester for the cooling system from the parts store. Although investing in one is probably not a bad idea as they are useful. Pump it up to 10-12 PSI and leave it for a half hour. If there are external leaks they will drip on the ground, you can put cardboard under there to be more certain. I had a similar problem and it turned out that coolant was escaping on the front of the driver's side bank and running down the front of the block. It was nearly impossible to see because the area where the head meets the block is obscured but it was confirmed when I pulled the heads, the HG had failed right there. I found lots of other small leaks, mostly various hose clamps not being tight enough however I repeatedly pressurized the system to 20psi, and may have blown out the HG myself, who knows. I certainly didn't help it with that much pressure.