Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System?

Okay, so I posted about a week ago that my 00 Disco II was loosing coolant at an alarming rate. I was pretty sure that it was coming out of the reservoir cap because the cap didn't seem to go on smoothly so I ordered a new cap. The new cap went on effortlessly. I refilled the system and went on a drive to check if that solved the problem. It seems that during the drive the top hose on the radiator blew off the tee connector and spewed coolant everywhere. Any suggestions?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say fix the hose as this must have been something that was going to fail. The relief valve in the cap should open before you start blowing off hoses due to pressure.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Mudding
Default how old are the hoses

2x on the hoses, and what type of clamps do you have? You may want to use the screw on clamps as you can get them tighter, and you may have old loose hoses, squeeze them and see how fast they rebound and bounce back, also if they have popped off numerous times they may have loosened that way. You can get the whole top hose assembly on Atlantic British for $60, you may want to check that.

If you have a blocked radiator, you can check by taking off the top and bottom radiator hose and run water through it and see how fast it comes out the bottom.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:28 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the info, I will check the hoses. Also, can a faulty thermostat cause too much pressure in the system?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joshluseal
Thanks for the info, I will check the hoses. Also, can a faulty thermostat cause too much pressure in the system?
No it will not.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any signs of oil? It surely should not be pressurized that much. Any signs of exhaust gas?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, so I posted about a week ago that my 00 Disco II was loosing coolant at an alarming rate. I was pretty sure that it was coming out of the reservoir cap because the cap didn't seem to go on smoothly so I ordered a new cap. The new cap went on effortlessly. I refilled the system and went on a drive to check if that solved the problem. It seems that during the drive the top hose on the radiator blew off the tee connector and spewed coolant everywhere. Any suggestions?
If your hose and clamp was in good shape, you are likely pressurizing your cooling system with combustion gases. At a minimum this is a head gasket. It could also be a block.

Sorry, I'm not one to sugar coat things. I assume if you're posting here you know what a bad hose looks like and would have replaced it by now.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:46 PM
8th Gear
Default Irritated

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Any signs of oil? It surely should not be pressurized that much. Any signs of exhaust gas?
There are no signs of oil and the exhaust seems to smell normal. However, the coolant was escaping through the old cap until I replaced it at which time it seems as though the pressure moved on to the next weakest point. I just bought this thing and I feel as though I may have been screwed. Its just amazing that a week after buying it, I may have to perform the most costly repair, aside from buying a new motor.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its just amazing that a week after buying it, I may have to perform the most costly repair, aside from buying a new motor.
Doesn't sound amazing to me. If I were a scumbag I'd unload a Rover (or any car) that was doing that too (after dumping some stop leak in it to make it look OK for a couple of test drives). Did you get a pre purchase inspection? Warranty from a reputable dealer?

Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Doesn't sound amazing to me. If I were a scumbag I'd unload a Rover (or any car) that was doing that too (after dumping some stop leak in it to make it look OK for a couple of test drives). Did you get a pre purchase inspection? Warranty from a reputable dealer?
Unfortunately, I'm not that smart in that regard. So, I guess I'm gonna learn alot about Land Rovers and how to fix them.

Quick Reply: Cooling System?