Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cooling system troubles

Hey all, new to posting on the forum but have been reading around for the past year or so and its been a great help with my disco.

I’ve been looking everywhere to figure out this problem but this is the only thing I cannot find. I broke the hose that goes from the top of the radiator to the top of the expansion tank in half, removed the rest of it, replaced it with fuel line and bled the system. It works, no leaks, however I ran the truck without the radiator cap on and there is a steady stream coming from that hose into the expansion tank and I don’t know if that is normal or not. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, I recently picked up a WiFi OBD reader and have been monitoring coolant temps with my phone for about 2 days. Around town my coolant temp is around 208-216 which from what I read is pretty normal, correct me if I am wrong. However when idling the temperature goes to around 217 which i would think is sort of high but I’m no expert. Where it becomes worrying is when i was on the highway today I checked the temp and it was a pretty stable 225 which from what I read is way too high for highway. I do live in Florida and its usually 80-90 degrees outside just for some background. I also replaced my thermostat recently with a tan one. Wish I read about the black soft spring before hand. Also I checked the temperature of my radiator with an infared gun and the bottom was at about 190 and the top was around 140(rebled the system assuming there was an air bubble, seems to of sorted it self but I’m not 100%) Again any insight on these readings.

Recap:
1. Is there supposed to be a steady flow of coolant from the top of the radiator to the top of the expansion tank (Will attach a picture)?
2. What should my coolant temperature be at for idle, in town, and highway?
3. Any additional tips or suggestions would be awesome!

Old 05-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

1- yes it should be coming out like that

2- get the 180 Tstat warm weather from Atlantic British or the black 180 britpart

you should be runing 194-199 Hwy and 203-208 city and idling

keep in mind that you bleed system with truck off and by lifting the expansion tank up until a steady stream comes out of bleeder screw

keep in mind that me and another member have received bad thermostats lately

Old 05-30-2018, 04:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
1- yes it should be coming out like that

2- get the 180 Tstat warm weather from Atlantic British or the black 180 britpart

you should be runing 194-199 Hwy and 203-208 city and idling

keep in mind that you bleed system with truck off and by lifting the expansion tank up until a steady stream comes out of bleeder screw

keep in mind that me and another member have received bad thermostats lately

Thanks for the information. I’ll get that thermostat as soon as I can. I have about a 2-3 hour trip coming up this weekend before I will be able to change out that thermostat, is 225 on the highway gonna burn up my system or will I be okay for this trip?

Old 05-30-2018, 04:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I’d say that’s a little high — I wouldn’t do a long trip with fwy temps that high

Old 05-30-2018, 04:51 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

225 is way high especially for highway driving, I would hate to ask what your stop and go traffic temps are!!!

You should not be running that high with a stock stat... something else is wrong... Since you recently replaced your stat I would suggest you haven't got all the air out yet. More bleeding!

197 idle, 188 in town moving, 188 highway.

When it is completely cold open the bleed screw, air bubbles congregate there. If you have room to add coolant through the bleed screw hole you will displace any air. Top it off. repeat for a few days until there is no more bubble. only do this on a stone cold engine.

Last edited by Dave03S; 05-30-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Mudding

Is there any way I can test the thermostat?

Old 05-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
225 is way high especially for highway driving, I would hate to ask what your stop and go traffic temps are!!!

You should not be running that high with a stock stat... something else is wrong.
My stop and goes around town don't go past 217, and thats a fairly long light.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:55 PM
TReK

Sorry I edited while you were typing... ^^^

Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S

You should not be running that high with a stock stat... something else is wrong... Since you recently replaced your stat I would suggest you haven't got all the air out yet. More bleeding!

197 idle, 188 in town moving, 188 highway.

When it is completely cold open the bleed screw, air bubbles congregate there. If you have room to add coolant through the bleed screw hole you will displace any air. Top it off. repeat for a few days until there is no more bubble. only do this on a stone cold engine.
Just checked my dates, I flushed the cooling system and replaced the upper hoses as well as the thermostat in March. This is the thermostat I got:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general

Looking back at it, probably should of done some research first. Regardless, I have bled it several times since then by raising the expansion tank and then removing the bleed screw. I have done that twice today because I had to replace the hose from the top of the radiator to the top of the expansion tank incase you missed it but there doesn't seem to be any air in the system. Is there any significant difference between bleeding it while its warm or when its cold? I bled it this morning while it was cold and again after I got back from recording those temperatures so it was warm-hot. I have had the truck for about a year and a half and only just got an OBD reader so I have no idea how long it has been running like this or what I changed before it started.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:10 PM
TReK

That thermostat is likely to be junk.

The point about checking under the bleed screw when its cold is that bubbles move after you have bled it using the expansion tank and then drive around.

Now next time its cold, check the bleed screw, if it is still full then you have other problems... Like a bad stat.

Quick Reply: Cooling system troubles