Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copper Rad ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Copper Rad ???

Guys, I've asked on other forums, and would appreciate your input also. Per Discomike's recommendation, I had a coolant pressure test done on my 2000 D2 with 55000 miles. The test showed that my rad had 6 to 7 lines that leaked. Knowing that the D2 has a plastic rad problem that develop leaks and that Rover did not fix the problem, I am not interested in buying a new plasticone from Land Rover and end up with the same problem within a few years.

A friend of mine that owns a radiator shop, told me he can custom build one for me and even a little bigger if I wish, using copper/brass material, for about 1/3 of the price of a new Genuine one from Land Rover ( $300.00-$350.00).

Some are saying to go ahead, and some are saying that there could be chemical reactions between the copper rad and the aluminum engine ???? and some even say that if I go with this set-up, that I should not use Dexcool???

So I guess my question is: Is anyone using the copper rad with his 4.0 and Dexcool ???

Knowing how particular Rovers are, I don't want to do anytghing that would create a problem!!!

Thanks for any input.

Darover.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Copper Rad ???

something else for thought.......

Will the oil cooler be copper as well? I know a few synthetics that have had high copper counts in the oil analysis from leaching copper on the oil cooler in Caterpillar engines. The Dexcool question is a good one to bring up. I don't know myself, but maybe someone else does....

Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool idea (no pun intended). I would be interested in the final outcome. A $350 oversized radiator that last a long time sounds great.

Good luck,

Chris

Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

This post got me to thinking/wondering, will the copper radiator, although better then a plastic radiator, cause more electrolisis on the head gaskets.
I am thinking that if you are going to a bigger better radiator, I would spend the extra money buy a custom made over sized alluminum radiator, it will last forever and give you the best cooling factor out there.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With this route you should just modify an existing oversized aluminum radiator, like the one for BMWs from Zionsville autosport. That thing is smokin'!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this. http://www.performanceradiator.com/

Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 PM
TReK

I think most old radiators are brass.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that old rads were made out of brass. Does this mean that older Rovers ran the aluminum engine with brass rads??? If so, which coolant did they run. As I've said, I know Dexcool is the coolant to run in the 4.0L D2 engine, but is that for the benefit of the rad or the engine or both ????

Anyone with that much knowledge ( experience)here????

Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM
TReK

My Disco I came with green antifreeze new,1996.
I have a brass OEM radiator.

Although I have heard of stranger things I find it odd that Dex cool a Generals Motors
antifreeze is found in a Land Rover a Ford owned company.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:35 PM
ajh
Winching

It isn't, it's actually a different coolant but DexCool is the 'name brand' that's most recognizable as an OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant. Personally I switched to a propolyne glycol based one (Amsoil) mostly because it's non-toxic and biodegradable.

Quick Reply: Copper Rad ???