Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could tapping noise be caused by bigend bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Could tapping noise be caused by bigend bearings?

The ongoing tapping saga continues, starting a new thread now that I have some of my original questions answered. I had a Land Rover tech listen to my car today and he confirmed it is the dreaded block tick. I also changed my oil today into a clean new oil pan and found quite a bit of small metal shavings and particles. I tested the particles with a magnet and they are not magnetic. From What I have read that limits from which locations the metal came from,such as could be from big end rod bearings but not from main crankshaft bearings. My question is, have those who replaced many parts in search of the tapping cure tried changing out the bigend rod bearings? The noise is definetly equal in its distrubution on either side, which I think proves its not a slipped linner. Also, how many people with this tapping/tick have checked their oil for non-magnetic metal flakes?
thanks for any replys!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I have changed big end bearings. Also changed main bearings, rings, cam, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, rocker shafts, oil pump gears, timing chain and gears, water pump, all the pulleys and the freaking tick is still there.
Your noise is not from big end bearings - they make a deep thud. What you have is a metallic click.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have the similar sound. It only occurs when warm too. I have actually noticed it go away for 10 seconds or so and come back. I noticed it unfortunately just after I did a oil change. Probably put in Mobile 1 10w-40 if I had to guess. I've since switched to a HDEO Rotella t6 I think.

What I remember from the oil change is that I used a oil filter from Atlantic British which was Mahle brand. I saw some forum entries cautioned not to get that filter. I have since put on the big Mobile one. The Mahle filter was part of a kit that was on sale. What concerns me more than the filter i used is that I changed oil like I do on any other car. I dumped the oil, replaced the plug and took the filter off and replaced it, filled the oil and then started the truck. The book calls for draining the oil then refilling the oil and then changing the filter. Maybe had something to do with oil pump prime? Anyway that is when I first heard the noise.

I am doing head gaskets next weekend on it and intend to look over all the parts as I tear it down.

Good luck with the tick.

Sounds like i'm now in the "tick" club!

Scott

Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks. I hear the tick at the top end, its this louder tapping/rapping noise at the bottom that concerns me. I was all ready to live with it and drive it till it dies and just ignore the noise but, I how can I ignore all these metal flakes in the oil?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not noticed any shavings. I'm figuring they should be caught by the oil filter, unless yours is clogged too much and going to bypass mode. I've been changing the oil every 500 miles or so (just got it a couple months ago and put 2K on it) trying to clean out the engine a bit. I'm thinking at the next change (won't do for a while now) I will cut open the filter and take a look though.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I had a brand new filter on it when I found the flakes, I also cut the filter open and did not find anything in it. All the flakes just come out when draining the pan. I even drove it around with another new filter for 15 miles and redrained the oil into a new oil pan and still had flakes.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 94svt50
I had a brand new filter on it when I found the flakes, I also cut the filter open and did not find anything in it. All the flakes just come out when draining the pan. I even drove it around with another new filter for 15 miles and redrained the oil into a new oil pan and still had flakes.
Hmmm... that really should not be unless the only time the engine is running the truck is not moving. With the oil pressure, the movement of the truck and the thick nature of oil it should be moving through the system and getting filtered (especially lightweight shavings). At least if they are noticeable to see in the oil.
Are you draining again anytime soon? Any oil consumption between changes?