Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Couldn't make it to Scarr? Maybe you can make it to Scabb (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/couldnt-make-scarr-maybe-you-can-make-scabb-66085/)

ls1morethanyou 04-25-2014 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 460170)
Between 18-28 years old;)

:pI was planning on going down the first weekend of June. That would be Friday the 6th - Sunday the 8th. That's only just over a month away. Any other suggestions.

I plan on taking off early Friday around 4 or 5am, so that I can be on the beach at sunrise and all set up and fishing by 8 or 9am. I haven't decided when Sunday I am going to take off, but I will probably spend as much time do there as possible.

seet, my significant other makes the cut! haha

ill try to head out from dfw around 11-noon to get there around 6 or so. dfw caravan?

ls1morethanyou 04-25-2014 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 460176)
I really wanted to caravan with everyone all the way there if possible. Maybe I will wait until you are passing through San Antonio. Are you coming down I-35 through Austin and San Antonio?
I was just trying to take off early to get out of that summer heat. It will be in the 100's by June, are you sure you want to take off at noon?

well, sooner the better but something always comes up.

I will deff leave sooner if we can all arrange a caravan.

ralphobell 04-26-2014 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 460170)
Between 18-28 years old;)

:pI was planning on going down the first weekend of June. That would be Friday the 6th - Sunday the 8th. That's only just over a month away. Any other suggestions.

I plan on taking off early Friday around 4 or 5am, so that I can be on the beach at sunrise and all set up and fishing by 8 or 9am. I haven't decided when Sunday I am going to take off, but I will probably spend as much time do there as possible.

So you saying us old guys are not invited?

ZGPhoto 04-30-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ralphobell (Post 459837)
Most after market racks support up to 600lbs distributed weight. At least the ones where the mounts are over the pillars which appears yours is. If you look at some of the camel trophy rigs you will see they packem heavy.

Just jumping in to mention something I learned last year and I think is really cool-

The Camel Trophy Discovery rack tied into the external roll cage that went all the way down to the chassis. That is the reason they could flip and not damage nearly as much. It even went through the dash on the sides. Special Vehicles team did an amazing job with the Camel Trophy trucks.

ls1morethanyou 04-30-2014 10:55 PM

i am so exited for this! been working on the rover every chance i have gotten and boy is it testing my limits. i might have a few friends coming down with me, an XJ Cherokee on 32's a d21 hardbody and maybe some others.

If the rover fails me ill be in my 00 sierra but i am hoping that is not the case.

ls1morethanyou 05-01-2014 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 461098)
What is wrong with the Rover? Just the leaky T-Case or do you have so other issues oging on?

Bring which ever truck isn't going to end your vacation early on the side of the highway. Is your sierra 4x4?

Tcase leak(stopped for now)
rear left hub had no grease- after the three amigos are cleared a bump sets them off- so new hub
need lift kit(want)
Want new tires (want offroad/all season tires)
and things here and there

it doesn't seem like a big list but budget wise its becoming to be a pain when you fix something and break something else.

ls1morethanyou 05-06-2014 03:20 PM

hub should be in this week, along with duing new fluids in both diffs and tcase, lift springs might also be bought.

ls1morethanyou 05-06-2014 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 462022)
Good deal. Keep hacking away at the to-do list 1 thing at a time. Good call on changing you diff and t-case oil. I just changed mine and my rear was really bad.
Attachment 20965
I've got some new LED lights on the way for the roof rack and that's about all I'm going to get for the Rover for now. I'm off to try and knock out the list of camping gear I want/need next. The trip is only a month away so I had better get my butt in gear and get this done.

I think i saw either your thread or a post about the fluids and thats why i am getting it done with the hub.

made a facebook page for the event to see if i could rally up more 4x4's but it might just be my coworker and the people in our rigs.

https://www.facebook.com/events/7590...ilter=upcoming

ls1morethanyou 05-06-2014 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 462039)
It would be great if more people came, but it won't surprise me if they don't. Not to many of these old men on here can spend a night away from running water and cable T.V.;) Off the grid camping and fishing isn't for everyone and I knew from the start not to many people were going. I'm just happy I'll have someone else to explore the beach with and that was my goal. I don't know what the other 3/4 of that coast line has in store for me so someone to pull me out if I get stuck would be nice. I'd hate for the old war horse to get swallowed by the sea.

x2 I wouldn't forgive my self if i lost Black Betty like that. I have done 2 off grid camping trips already so i am fairly confident this will be one for the books as well.

Have you bought sand anchors? I was looking at setting camp out there and they seem to be a must buy. i picked up a coleman set of 8 for like 20 shipped. New Coleman Lightweight Camping Fillable Soft Hard Terrain Tent Anchors 8 Pack | eBay

what are you doing for sea fishing? i picked up a penn 209 reel and i am searching for a better rod than what i have for fresh water fishing.

Dane! 05-06-2014 09:24 PM

I personally am not a fan of the Ugly stick. All the ones I have used are sluggish, they don't have the backbone to set the hook well while being sensitive at the same time. I also only fish in freshwater, which I know they are two different worlds.