Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Couldn't make it to Scarr? Maybe you can make it to Scabb (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/couldnt-make-scarr-maybe-you-can-make-scabb-66085/)

ls1morethanyou 05-06-2014 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 462050)
Those sand anchors look great! I was going to dig a hole and bury the stake about 3 feet down, but these do seem like a good idea. The wind down there is crazy so we will need a good anchoring system. I think I might buy a set or 2.

As for the fishing gear. I'm just now starting to get to the camping stuff, but I know I'm going to buy 2 new rods and reels. I went to bass pro shop and found this 10' heavy penn combo for $99, but the reviews said the rod wasn't good and tends to snap. No Good:mad:. I'm looking at this 12' X heavy Shakespeare rod for $75 and pair that with the peen reel from the combo above but I really don't know. I'm open for any suggestions and deals you know of. Fishing line will probably be 40lb braided so I need a reel that can handle 300-400yrds of it.
Any idea on what kind of bait you are looking to pick up? I know i'm getting a few pounds of shrimp, maybe some crab and a good amount of cut bait like mullet. I'm no good with a cast net but I always bring one and someone always uses it and gets some live bait.

I am winging it to be honest, as i find info ill post on here.

I figured a cast net or get some chicken gizzards as they are cheap. Squid and shrimp seem to also be good.

ls1morethanyou 05-07-2014 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 462154)
The trip is less than a month away and I'm starting to dream about fishing, so I woke up and went to basspro today and picked me up a new rod and reel.

I had trouble picking between the only 2 15ft rods that they carry (Species Specific & Saltwater Fishing Rods | Bass Pro Shops). In the end after reading all the reviews I decided to go with the cheaper "Power Plus" rod and spend the money I saved on the reel. I'm hoping that the 15ft rod will help me get my bait way out there.

For the reel I went with the Penn Battle 8000 series spinning reel.

After reading up on mono vs braided line I learned that mono is the way to go with the bigger fish as they tend to run and pull the line and mono has more stretch. I'm starting to realize that I still have a lot to learn about saltwater fishing, but the more research I do the more it's starting to make sense. A good thing to do if you want extra line on the reel is to use a heavy braid line for 80%-90% of the spool (since you can get more braid line on than mono) and then do the last 10-20% mono for it's good stretch and strength. Then at the end of the mono line you put your leader setup. I'm leaving one bait way out to try and catch something big. hopefully my first shark

really nice setup!

Picked up the Penn 209 for 20 bucks, bought a Berkeley big game 8' fishing rod from Walmart for 20 and the Berkeley big game trilene 50# line for 9. I dont intend to catch something big enough to break the rod/reel/line.

From the videos i have seen i am not going to try and get my line too far out. A small shark would be cool, a large one... well i dont know what i would do once its at shore haha.
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...61482981_n.jpg
i did buy a long hook remover just in case :D

Have you thought about hook size and material? i want to buy a set just to take out there of regular steel in case the line breaks. but i also want to land what i catch so i am torn between steel and stainless.

picked up a shower/utility pop up as well. ill have the **** bucket in there along with the solar showers. Ill just need a longer table and a large pop up tent for shade or buy a tarp and hang it between three vehicles.

dwvninety 05-08-2014 01:52 AM

Too bad us old timers are not invited. Guess we'll see you at SCARR 2015.

ls1morethanyou 05-08-2014 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 462227)
I'll take long hook remover off my list then.

LOL.. You have the same setup in mind as we did for the Shower/restroom area. We are getting something like that also. It will work perfect. I am bringing at least one 5ft fold out table for food and that kind of stuff and I was planning on bringing 1 more smaller table for cutting bait on and hopefully gutting all our fish. We should have plenty of tables. I;m looking into 1 of those pop up shade tents as well. I did buy one of these more portable shade tents for $50 at basspro in case I want shade down away from camp. It is a fairly large tent, not tall enough to stand in but perfect for 2 chairs and an ice chest and super easy to setup and move. A tarp in between the trucks should work fine, but a pop up shade tent is great also. We will look like a small down out there with all the different camping, utility and shade tents we have.:p

As far as tackle goes, I'm still figuring everything out. I'm going to make my shark rigs like this guy does I think. They seem perfect for the smaller shark I am after.
Shark Fishing Tips - How to Make a Shark Rig for Surf Fishing - YouTube

Well if you have the tables covered ill grab a pop up tent. i like being outside but sun burn and i dont get along too well.

Bass pro or cabelas i go for hook supplies then! that is one slick setup.

Originally Posted by dwvninety (Post 462240)
Too bad us old timers are not invited. Guess we'll see you at SCARR 2015.

Everyone is invited, the age thing earlier was a joke.

even Jared9220 doesnt fit the date range, but i could be datable for three more years! just saying.

Seriously come one come all, i have this cross posted on Facebook and the Naxja jeep club to get more people out and hang out/explore.

ls1morethanyou 05-14-2014 01:39 PM

Its getting closer! After watching one too many shark fishing videos i bought a roller fishing rod, a bigger penn 113 4/0 reel and alot of braid line.....

I also remembered i had a small inflatable boat and paddles, so maybe we could paddle out and drop bait in order to increase the fishing success?

ralphobell 05-14-2014 01:42 PM

Yeah, you go right ahead and paddle your a** out there and drop bait.:D

ralphobell 05-14-2014 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 463230)
Nice one Ralph. I'll have to fill up on liquid courage to get into the raft now.

P.S. I got the pieces for the brush bar in the mail today. thank you

Cool! Not sure if you needed the pieces with the bushings or not but sent them anyway.

ls1morethanyou 05-14-2014 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jared9220 (Post 463234)
Only 3 weeks away I can't wait1

Yes, bring the boat/raft thing! I looked up that reel and it looks really nice. Are you going to tie on a good heavy mono on the end of that braid? I've heard that braid is okay but you need 20ft of mono at the end before the leader to absorb the shock when they run.

yes, i am trying to get a good amount of 500# stuff but i think ill do with 200# mono.

OBA is almost done
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...63594863_n.jpg

here is the inflatable, hf-250 sevylor

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...73115185_n.jpg

ralphobell 05-14-2014 06:44 PM

Forget about the raft and get you one of these.

ls1morethanyou 05-14-2014 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ralphobell (Post 463270)
Forget about the raft and get you one of these.

Bait Launcher - BaitBullet - now you can also cast far! - YouTube[/url]

yeah, raft is out- apparently a really bad idea lol