Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple issues (no start) and a big thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple issues (no start) and a big thanks!

Hey all,

I am a new owner, and I have to say, this is one of the most helpful forums that I have ever had the privilege to be part of.

Disco II 2003 120,000 km (new rebuild = 1000 km)
Bought just 1 week ago
3 amigos showed up to let me know that I was a new owner on about day 4, same day I had a no start at the gas station.

Symtoms: First start of the day=No problem- I shut her off at the pumps, no response from the engine when I tried to re-crank-All lights came on, no clicks, no anything from the engine bay. I went from the 2nd position to the crank position several times and she finally came back to life.

Got to work-shut down-no restart-8 hours later started without issue.

Happened like this for three days.

I just finished changing out the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Is this a good direction, or did I misdiagnose. Brand new to Land Rover, so I am very open to suggestions.

Thanks for all the help!

Bink

Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any other codes?
Crank shaft position sensor will allow you to crank and crank but no start most of the time so i would say mis diagnosis. You have a electrical short of some sort or loose connection.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-18-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Overlanding

So far so good, but I do agree with you lr2001silver! It will probably come back.

One question- The shift lock is non-existent...When I was having the no start problem, (after I purchased, but before I installed the new CKS) I could bang the shifter around and it would start. Is there a sensor or a switch in the shift linkage that would make the truck think that it is in gear when it is not?

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Banned

أ ﺎﻳ ﻰ

the transmission shift lever can be mechanically released by manually depressing the cam pin that is located on the left side of the shift lever. To see this "pin" squeeze both sides of the plastic cover and raise it up. If you remove shift handle you can take the cover all the way off, be careful of the electrical connection. When removing handle be careful not to give yourself a fat lip or black eye. Grab handle squeeze button move to neutral then pull straight up. After cover is removed put handle back on and inspect that solenoid is working properly (ie pin is moving in and out when you press in button and release button) Sometimes they stick open or closed and can cause shifter not to be in proper position to start engine.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-20-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Overlanding

Thank you for the reply. So if this pin is stuck open, the rig won't start, or is it closed for a no start? Easy fix?

Last edited by bink1109; 10-20-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

So if the pin is stuck in you could pull your gear selector back and forth . If solenoid is stuck out you would not be able to change gears without pressing in pin manually. Solenoids can fail at anytime so this is definitely a possibility if gear selector does not recognize truck is in Park it will not start or if it is between park and reverse it would not start. (safety feature) You will need to inspect to make sure solenoid is functioning and if that is good inspect further to confirm that linkage is moving correctly with shifter tighten or loosen as needed if solenoid is the problem then replace solenoid. Problem solved. Pretty easy job!

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Overlanding

No start condition came back...
I have-
Checked all the fuses + Wires + relays (all good)
Changed Crankshaft position sensor
Banged on then jumped starter solenoid (No luck)
Tried to jumpstart battery
Shot battery- static=12.6v Running 13.4v

My inertia switch was stuck down...I messed with it, then my hazards would not shut off...Finally the button stayed where it was supposed, no more hazards, but still had the no start.

What is my next step? Thanks again for any idea provided.

3 Amigos came back again, once I got it started. I cannot get codes read again until tomorrow morning sometime.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 AM
Overlanding

I have found a lot of dead threads with the same issue that I am having, not many fixes though.
If I jump the starter relay and it works, does that point me in a better direction?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bink1109
I have found a lot of dead threads with the same issue that I am having, not many fixes though.
If I jump the starter relay and it works, does that point me in a better direction?
Dead threads are a problem with any forum. I have always wondered why people who are so eager and hungry for advice are then so selfish with their time to not post the resolution. Maybe some day there can be a monitoring of user ids where if you start a thread seeking other peoples time and knowledge that you can not repost until you close your first thread with your resolution.

Just needed to rant and sorry for taking your time.

Not sure of answer and I wish you the best.

2003 Discovery 131K with high miles service complete.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Overlanding

It does start fine when i hook the battery straight to the starter solenoid... What does this tell me? I do not seem to be getting power to relay in the engine compartment.
I tested continuity from the fuse box to the starter solenoid and it was good as well.

Last edited by bink1109; 10-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: A couple issues (no start) and a big thanks!