Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of small things

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Couple of small things

My wipers work. But only if I turn them on before the headlights.

I tried to replace my rear wiper with a 14D, but the thing just wouldn't clip because the new wiper had too much material around where the arm is supposed to clip in. What brand do you guys use?

Last thing for now. I bought a cheesy FM tuner to play my iPod, but it sucks so bad that I'm gonna toss it. Is there any difficulties swapping the factory deck with an el cheapo aftermarket one? How can I tell if I have an amp or not? I assume only the alpine systems came with an amp from the factory, but I just wanna be sure so I'm not wasting money on this kinda stuff

Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

If yours has an amp, it is under the drivers seat. you can't miss it. If it has a cd changer, it is below the passengers seat. Let me know and i can direct you to the harnesses that you need to buy. You can get a decent single din head unit that will fit nicely and not break your bank account.
Another alternative would be to get a Grom add-on. Just search Grom on this forum.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
If yours has an amp, it is under the drivers seat. you can't miss it. If it has a cd changer, it is below the passengers seat. Let me know and i can direct you to the harnesses that you need to buy. You can get a decent single din head unit that will fit nicely and not break your bank account.
Another alternative would be to get a Grom add-on. Just search Grom on this forum.
Re Grom. They 'only' work with Alpine stereos. Just been down that road. Just to beware.

My stereo was able to accept a auxiliary iPod lead. Best I could do. Although 100X better than those FM boxes.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I used a Trico rear wiper blade that was similar to the OEM blade. I ran into the same problem that it wouldn't clip because the blade hit the arm. I used a dremel to remove a little bit of material from the arm so the readily available rear blades would fit.

Sure, I could have removed material from the blade, but if I'm on the road and something happens, I want to ba able to pull in to a parts store and slap it on, without having to first modify it.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cappedup
Re Grom. They 'only' work with Alpine stereos. Just been down that road. Just to beware.

My stereo was able to accept a auxiliary iPod lead. Best I could do. Although 100X better than those FM boxes.
That is good to know. I have aftermarket installed, so was throwing that out there, just in case.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling

The factory Alpine stereos will have the Alpine logo on the speaker grilles, right? Not entirely sure what I have because I have like a million speakers in this thing. It has a 6 disc changer under the passenger seat, but that's about all I could see through the tiny panel door

Old 09-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

To install a Grom you have to take the unit out anyway, so pull it out and check the sticker on the stereo, to be sure.

Or post a photo here. There are only so many factory stereos. Someone will identify it.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Twix
The factory Alpine stereos will have the Alpine logo on the speaker grilles, right? Not entirely sure what I have because I have like a million speakers in this thing. It has a 6 disc changer under the passenger seat, but that's about all I could see through the tiny panel door
did you feel under your drivers seat and feel any kind of cooling fins, if so you have factory amp. also do you have speakers in the rear compartment door?
Factory speakers will only be labeled if HK(Harmon Kardon)
If it has amp, rear compartment door woofers, cd changer, it is most likely hi-line system with alpine head unit.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 09-08-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling

There's an amp under the driver's seat! Speakers in the tailgate door too. So the Grom thing should work then? Or should I just go with a cheap deck?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Twix
There's an amp under the driver's seat! Speakers in the tailgate door too. So the Grom thing should work then? Or should I just go with a cheap deck?
Your call, Grom will be easy(you will lose the cd changer, since it uses that connector).

Aftermarket will require PAC-SWI(steering wheel controls), and harness adapter is Metra 70-1786(for factory amp), and there is a piece to fill in the blank space that will be under the aftermarket head unit(Metra 89-9400).
You will have two antenna leads(1 is large and 1 is small) and your choice it to use the larger end lead, or get a diversified antenna adapter that is basically a y-adapter(there is a company that makes one for the disco).

I went aftermarket, and removed the cd changer and installed mono bloc amp in its place to power 10" pioneer sub enclosure.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 09-09-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Couple of small things