Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked Sleeve?

Been having a miss on cylinder 4 on my 04. Exhaust in coolant. Block test turns green quick. Ticking noise at idle. Misses worst the first 10 seconds after you crank it then it smooths out. Replaced plugs, wires, coil pack. I don't loose much coolant. Having the head tested tomorrow. Just in case

First pic is the sleeve itself. There are 3 "cracks" that i can see. If you take your fingernail and scratch across them, you can feel them.

The second pic is to show that it looks like to me the sleeve has not slipped.

Does this look like what would be a cracked sleeve?

Also, this may be educational for people having this issue. If this is a cracked sleeve, then you wouldn't know you had a sleeve problem if you dropped the oil pan and checked from underneath. There is no slippage, the thing is cracked.

Let me know what you think. Especially if you've seen this before. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Cracked Sleeve?-img_8209.jpg   Cracked Sleeve?-img_8203.jpg  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't see that as cracks for vertical cuts or scratches.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

1st pic is what happens when you get dirt in the motor. It looks to just be scratched from dirt. The only way of really telling is to have it pressure tested.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cylinders are supposed to have cross hatching on them

Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Maybe i should be more specific. In the middle of the picture, there are 3 vertical "cracks" or scratches. Parallel to each other. I don't know what the pics look like on everyone's computer but i see them clearly.

More information. Compression test is good on this all cylinders. I'll report on the head test tomorrow.

Last edited by dynomite; 11-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt they are cracks, they are too perfect. I'm guessing they line up perfectly with the gap on the top ring, and you had dirt stuck and scored the cylinder wall. Also the compression test wouldn't have been good and it should blow coolant like crazy out the expansion tank if it was bad enough to skip bad on startup. I'd go with the pressure test mike suggested, but I think you have a gasket issue. Good luck, let us know the prognosis.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Update:

head pressure test showed no problems with the head. head gaskets look good.

After further inspection of cylinder 4, it seems that the cross hatching lines are worn down a little further down past where my picture can see right where the scratches are. it is smooth. something seems to be wrong with piston. (may need ring replacement) this may explain the ticking but not the miss. i still have an exhaust leak.

also..there is a bunch of carbon buildup on the valves. but on cylinder 4 (the missing cylinder) there is "gooey" black stuff that you can wipe off with your finger. anyone know what this is?

i'm still stuck with an exhaust leak with and nothing to blame for it. cylinder sleeve looks fine. head gaskets are fine. head is fine.

any suggestions?

Last edited by dynomite; 11-29-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Mudding

New Update...

This is the same cylinder #4. Dropped the piston a little lower and i saw this. The cross hatches are worn smooth. What causes this. Piston Ring? What do i need to do?

also...took the drivers side head off. machine guy says it looks like there is some evidence of an exhaust leak on cylinder 7. the gasket is black between the cylinder and coolant hole.

thanks for answers in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Cracked Sleeve?-cylinder.jpg  

Last edited by dynomite; 11-30-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You could have the cylinder reworked, I wouldn't though. This may sound like the old snake oil routine, but go change you oil and put one of the large bottles of Restore in you oil. It is designed specifically for this issue and a few of us have tried it with pretty good results.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cyl walls wear a lot more on the lower end on any engine. The piston will fit tighter higher in the bore. It's due to the way the con rod pushes the piston side ways into the Cyl wall when it's first coming around and pulling the piston into the other side of the wall when the crank is rotating the big end of the rod out and away from the Cyl. Half way up the Cyl the piston is pretty much forced straight up there for there's little wear. The cross hatches look great. Those scrub marks are typical of trash that visited the Cyl. As long as they are smooth they're fine. Did you do a compression check on that Cyl before you tore it down? That gooey stuff could just be from the
Misfire in that cyl where fuel saturated the carbon. If it is coolant then I'd say it was the head gasket leaking even if it doesn't look like it. Make sure you mic the Cyl protrusion from the deck to be sure you don't have a low liner.

Quick Reply: Cracked Sleeve?