Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 01:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Try swapping the relay with a different one - there are couple that are the same

Old 03-08-2022, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Replaced Crank Position sensor, New Fuel pump - Still no start!

Now I think my problem may be ignition. I went ahead and pulled off spark plug #1 and #2 to see if there are any spark. no spark!!! since they are from 2 Banks no spark may be not getting any power to ignition coil at all. I should have checked these first before running after fuel supplies.
Checked all the fuses and Relays.

Is there an ignition Relay? Ignition switch? I never had any problem with this truck in the past 20 years I own this.
where would you start to test?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2022, 05:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

ECU typically does not shut off spark when the engine is cranking, even for security lockout. They keep the spark going to prevent engine flooding, they shut off the fuel instead. 1 and 2 are on different coil packs, so I would check the fuse box to make sure you don't have a blown fuse but my memory is that LR did not fuse the ignition circuit - check the wiring diagram. Worth testing the crash button on the firewall to make sure that hasn't been accidently activated. I assume the security light on the IC is not blinking rapidly? You might need to swap in a known good ECU.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling

First of all thank you for all your help and suggestions. Truck still won't start

Replaced Crank Position Sensor with Bosch OE sensor
Check the Fuel Pump connector i have 2 grounds - i don't get any power there at any given time (new pump)
Checked for spark - No spark
Cranks excellent (new battery and starter 2 months old)
Checked all fuses swapped relays - I have additional relays that i used
Inertia switch seem to work when i press i hear some clicking in the car
my horn has not been working for a while (2 to 3 months) - not sure in that has anything to do. they the truck would not have ran all this time

Only code popped up is 27 - Immobilizer - incorrect code. I have tried multiple keys. disconnect, reconnect, recharged battery few times as I am trying to start

Very Frustrating. any help would be appreciated. Do we know anyone in Austin, Texas can help? will be happy to pay for the service at home.

Last edited by sayeedA; 03-10-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

I would start by figuring out why you don’t have any power to the fuel pump. That should have power in position 2 on the ignition at all times even when the alarm system is on. Read through the RAVE manual specifically the operating description sections to get your self familiar with how each system works.

Also what do you mean by you had “hard starting” for a month previously? The engine would turn over but not fire up or would wouldn’t get the starter turning?

Last edited by zski128; 03-10-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by zski128
I would start by figuring out why you don’t have any power to the fuel pump. That should have power in position 2 on the ignition at all times even when the alarm system is on. Read through the RAVE manual specifically the operating description sections to get your self familiar with how each system works.

Also what do you mean by you had “hard starting” for a month previously? The engine would turn over but not fire up or would wouldn’t get the starter turning?
I never had to crank more than once. Last one month sometime i would have to crank 2-3 times before fires up - that's what I meant. That is when I suspected the pump may be getting weaker and replaced with the CKPS. So you are saying i may have issue with the ignition switch? If that's the case what is the best way to replace that? thanks

Old 03-10-2022, 01:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It’s possible it’s the ignition switch but there are also a lot of other components in the path to the fuel pump. Download the rave and take a look at the electrical diagrams. Just work on one problem at a time. Start with the ignition switch and work your way down the line until you find the source of no power. All you need is a simple test light and a multimeter.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling

It’s possible it’s the ignition switch but there are also a lot of other components in the path to the fuel pump. Download the rave and take a look at the electrical diagrams. Just work on one problem at a time. Start with the ignition switch and work your way down the line until you find the source of no power. All you need is a simple test light and a multimeter.
Appreciate the suggestion. If it's the Immobilizer someone suggested would the truck crank still?

Old 03-10-2022, 03:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don’t think the immobilizer cuts out the fuel
pump. Do you have a flashing red led in the top middle of your instrument cluster? Another quick way to tell if the immobilizer is active it try to open the fuel door via the button on the binnacle assuming that it worked before all the issues. The key has to be out of the ignition.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling

I don’t think the immobilizer cuts out the fuel
pump. Do you have a flashing red led in the top middle of your instrument cluster? Another quick way to tell if the immobilizer is active it try to open the fuel door via the button on the binnacle assuming that it worked before all the issues. The key has to be out of the ignition.
when I lock the truck I can see the flashing but once open no flashing. Everything is normal as before. Noticed my driver side window does not roll down. It worked before this. I left the truck gone for 3 weeks battery drained due to rear door was not locked. Recharged the battery now won't start just crack.

Quick Reply: Crank but no start